Hallway Light switch

Old 11-22-99, 02:09 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a hallway light that can be activated by two switches--one on each end of the hall. The problem is that if the light is turned on by one switch--it cannot be turned off by the other switch. In other words, I have to turn the light off from what ever switch it was that turned it on in the first place. How can I fix this problem???

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-99, 02:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Both switches need to be three-way switches. Is there only one light between them? If so, you need 3-wire with ground between the lights and switches.

Did you wire this, or rewire it?

Old 11-22-99, 02:11 PM
Visiting Guest
I bought the house with the wiring like that. They actually control two lights. How can I tell if they're two-way or three-way switches?

Old 11-22-99, 02:12 PM
Visiting Guest
A three-way switch will have three wires attached to it. A 2-way only has two wires.
Since there are two lights involved, you will need a 4-wire with ground to make them work.

Old 12-09-99, 03:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

craig, The wires on one of the switches may be backwards, as was the case on the basement lights I wir.... I mean, somebody else wired in my house, buy a black & decker wiring book and it will tell you how they should be, or e-mail me and I'll tell you what the book says. [email protected]

Old 12-10-99, 04:22 PM
Visiting Guest
hi craig, chances are you have switched connections on 1 of the 3ways controlling the lights here a couple o good sites on 3ways http://www.howstuffworks.com/three-way.htm http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/courses/p230/switches.html
as to what bob said on needing 4 wires to controll 2 lights thats not true. u may control 1 or more lights from the switches depending on the situation, if youd like more info on this e-mail me