Doorbell sticks

Old 12-14-99, 12:17 PM
Visiting Guest
My doorbell is sticking. It's not just the plunger, however. Even when the doorbell button (outside) isn't pressed, current is getting to the bell, and it doesn't release (plunger just stays in). When I un-wire it at the bell, it releases. I was thinking of replacing the doorbell (inside the house), but it seems there is always current going to the bell, so I wonder if that would do it.

Thanks for any help, and Merry XMAS.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-99, 01:22 PM
Visiting Guest
hi Jlothrop,
several things could be wrong here you could have a short in the low voltage wireing, your coil could be bad in the chime unit or your wireing could be crossed up. assuming the the bell just startd doing this with no outside influince (ie rewireing/remodeling or replaceing the push button)then chances r that the coil inside the chime unit is the problem, replace the chime unit.

Old 12-14-99, 01:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I just found my problem. I dis-assembled the button outside, and although the button springs back and forth okay, it never disconnects when it goes out. So I took it apart and just pinched the connections so they'd release properly.

Thanks again..........