Switchleg with Replacement Outlet

Old 12-17-99, 05:29 PM
Visiting Guest
The existing outlet in my apartment is very old, and plugs tend to slip out of it very easily. So I purchased a new outlet at a retail store to replace it. The old outlet has 8 push in holes. There are four screwdriver release slots, and there are two holes next to each slot. And there's the ground screw. Before I removed any of the wires, the two white wires were on the side marked white, and they were in the holes next to each other (sharing a release slot), nearest the ground wire. On the other (non-white) side, the two black wires were in two adjacent holes (sharing a release slot), nearest the ground wire. But also on the black side, in one of the holes farthest from the ground, was the red switchleg wire.

The new outlet that I purchased at the store is set up differently. It has only has four push in holes. But it also has four screws, which are on the sides of the plug instead of the back. And between the screws on either side is a removable link. I haven't removed either of the links. I put one white wire in each of the holes on the side marked white, but I wasn't sure what to do on the other side. I decided to try putting a black wire in each of the holes and fixing the switch leg wire to one of the screws. I put the outlet back in the wall and turned the power back on. Now the outlets work fine, but the switch doesn't do anything.

Do I have the switch leg wire in the wrong place? Or do I need to buy a different outlet, perhaps one that's designed for switch legs? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-99, 11:25 PM
Visiting Guest
hi PremoBud,
heres what u need to do, follow these steps and you will be back in business.
1. tourn off the power to the circuit
2. take the recept out of the wall
3. remove all the wires
4. place the bare on the green screw
5. place the 2 white wirs on the silver screws
6. brake the tab on the gold screws
7. wire nut the 2 blacks togeather with a pig tail (ie the 2 wires and a piece of wire wirenutted togeather)
8. place the black thats pigtailed under 1 of the gold screws
9. place the red under the other gold screw
10. put it all back in the wall
11. turn the power back on

Old 12-18-99, 01:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I understand most of what you said, except that I don't really know what a pigtail is. Would you mind explaining?

Old 12-18-99, 02:16 PM
Visiting Guest
hi PremoBud,
no i dont mind explaining what a pig tail is.
a pig tail is a small piece of wire connected to 2 or more wires with a wirenut with the end hanging out of the wirenut so u can connect it to a device (ie switch or receptical). hope this explains it

Old 12-18-99, 05:33 PM
Visiting Guest

Hi PremoBud.

That pice o wire (pig tail) should be the same size with the black wires and should be 6-7" long to work with it comfortably.
If you have problem with pig tail push 1 black in the hole the istall 2nd black under the screw on the same side and same 1/2 of receptacle.
With red you have a choice:
push it in the hole an the second 1/2 or install it under the screw.

You already broke the bridge between 2 colored screws, am i right?

Regards Zoltan

Old 12-18-99, 08:59 PM
Visiting Guest
PremoBud,
only back stab the recept if it is #14 wire, if in doubght dont back stab(ie putting the wire in the hole on the back of the recep).

Old 12-19-99, 04:45 AM
Visiting Guest
hz98,
No, I didn't break the bridge between the colored screws yet.

sprky,
I'm not sure if it's 12 gauge or 14 gauge wire. But I suppose when I get the 7 inches of wire for the pig tail I could just buy both 12 and 14.

But thinking about this, would it work if I just left the red on one of the screws next to the blacks (which are in the push in holes) and broke the bridge?

Old 12-19-99, 07:31 AM
Visiting Guest

NO.

2 balks MUST BE on the same 1/2.
1 in hole 1 under screw.

Red MUST BE on 2nd 1/2 in hole or under screw.

Breake off bridge!!!!!!!

Sparki. If you paid attention, some wires were already in holes.

Zoltan

Old 12-19-99, 07:37 AM
Visiting Guest

Hi.

BALKS = BLACKS

Old 12-19-99, 10:14 AM
Visiting Guest
hz98,

Thanks. It sounds like I've got less work to do than I thought. Unfortunately, I just came home for Christmas break, so I won't be able to change the wiring until after the new year, but it sounds good to me.

Thanks again.

Old 12-19-99, 11:12 AM
Visiting Guest

Have a wonderful Christmas break & a happy New Year.

Zoltan