reduced voltage

Old 12-30-99, 07:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

hi all, I live in a co-op in n.y.c. and since last summers brownouts one of the 110 lines coming into my apt,has had low voltage about 1o9 to 114 volts this fluctuates, while the other stays at about 118 volts. This has played havoc on my flourescent lights I burn out a set of bulbs a month. Con Ed won't come out unless a licensed electrician comes out first. I would appreciate any thoughts thanx skip

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-99, 09:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Slyde,

If what you say is true, then everyone in your cooperative should be having the same problem.
The utility company is allowed to have a variance of +/- 3% voltage. that means on a 120 volt circuit it could be as low as 116 volts. This usually is not maintained at this amount, only that it is allowed to reach this level. On a brownout, they may go down this far.
Now, check with other owners and everyone that is using the same utility transformer as well. If all have the same symptoms, then the utility has the problem. If your volt meter is very accurate, a digital for example, you have a little better basis for complaint.
If you need someone else first, then have an electrician place a voltage reading device on your line for 24 hours to see the actual cycle over a period of time.

Old 12-30-99, 10:50 PM
Visiting Guest
hi slyde,
dave is correct if your haveing this problem then so shuld the others on the same transformer, do as he stated, i couldnt have put it any better