Whole House Re-wiring Ideas

Old 06-01-02, 08:46 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Whole House Re-wiring Ideas

I am getting prepared to start a re-wire project on my entire house and replace the existing AL wiring with 12 Gauge Copper. In addition, I would like to replace the existing phone lines and install Cat 5 drops. I have already drawn the entire house in AUTOCad and where I would like the new lines to be. I am currently in the process of finding the end of circuit run (what a headache). I have already installed a new 200 AMP service.

My question(s) is this: First off, am I forgetting anything? Also, any ideas on how to run the new lines while minimizing the damage to the walls? Any ideas or "from experience" advise would be greatly appreciated. Any references or links would also help.

Thanks again...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-02, 09:40 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the existing cable mettalic or non-mettalic and are the outlet boxes(existing) metal or plastic?----Window AC units or O.D. compressors?------GFI receptacles in the bath-rooms?---the 2002 NEC requires AFCI circuit-breakers for bedrooms----exterior liting--floods,spots,etc.?----Do you have a "Sawzall" and a "rite-angle" drill and bit extensions?----Just a few random thoughts which I hope are helpful-Good Luck!!!

Old 06-03-02, 11:11 AM
S
solipsist9
Visiting Guest
i just want to commend you for getting rid of all that aluminum. that stuff should have been banned by the nec long ago. in 20+ years as an electrician, i have never, ever used aluminum wire and never will. safety and piece of mind are more important than saving a few cents.

Old 06-03-02, 05:14 PM
B
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
Read up on your telecommunications cables. Cat 5e seems to be the current "in" thing right now. Cat 6 is right around the corner. Wireless holds enough promise to trump them both.

Consider using a structured media center. This is a distribution box for voice, data, CaTV, speaker, intercom and so on. The main disadvantage seems to be running lots more cable. Instead of point-to-point wiring, ideally each jack goes directly to the media center.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-02, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try to keep the communications wiring away from the power wirng when possible.(several feet)
install smurf tubing (the blue flexible stuff in home depot) to each communication location, use 2gang boxes for communications(deep boxes). Use Category 5e, if not 6 to futureproof. 2 for data, 1 for voice.
voice only needs to be 5, 5e while your at it. Thuroughly think through the communications panel, there is no such thing as too big. Coax as needed. Color code the data jacks, blue=1, orange=2. Voice=white. Vid out(to tv)=white, vid from media center to house distribution=black, etc. I have been satisfied with Leviton. the product line expands every time a new catlog comes out.
gj

Old 06-03-02, 11:07 PM
B
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
I have a Leviton SMC as well. The accesory boards are a bit expensive. Mount the optional outlet if you can. It will provide power to various accessories like signal amps, DSL modem, switch/router, etc. These devices draw little power but you really want to install some sort of surge protection if possible. Keep the power feed away from the voice/data cable. They should enter/leave from opposite ends of the box.

The EMT (blue smurf conduit) is fun to work with. Penetration holes are 1 1/8". If you absolutely must cross a power wire cross the lowest voltage wire possible and cross at a 90 degree angle.

Use RG6U quad-shield coax cable. Works with digital cable and satellite receivers.

btw, one of the bonuses that I found with using the SMC and having a teenager in the house is that I do not have to go into her room to take away her phone privledges. Simply open the SMC and pull the plug. Locking phone jacks are also availiable.

Green Jacket: Do the connectors for the EMT fit through the knock outson the Leviton SMC?