Help! light switch conversion

Old 12-27-99, 03:46 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a 3 light switch wall box. The left switch turns on/off an exterior porch light. The middle switch operates a three-way outlet
for a lamp and the right switch is empty. I would like to install an outlet in this spot.
I would like to get my power supply by running a pigtail from one of the other switches but have not had any success. What is the best way to get power to the new outlet and still keep the other two switches working?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-99, 05:52 PM
Visiting Guest
This is posssible only if there is a neutral in the box as well.
If there is a bunch of white wires capped with a wire nut, you have a neutral supply.
You will need to pigtail a white from this group to the left side, white screw of the outlet.
You hot will come from the hot that is common to the switch/s. The three/way you have may not have a hot at that box, but the other one should. Just pigtail from it, or make a pigtail connection and lead it to the receptacle on the colored screw, right side of receptacle.

Old 12-27-99, 06:44 PM
Visiting Guest

Hi jeffstc.

If you want help, tell me how many wires are in that box?
It is not a must to have a neutral there.

Regards Zoltan

Old 12-27-99, 08:10 PM
Visiting Guest
hi jeffstc,
zoltan is correct its not necessery to have a nutural in the box to do this, but its advisable not to use the ground as your nutural if theres no nutural in the box what i would do is pull in a new set of romex for the outlet if the box has enough room to acept the new wires. let me know how many wires r in this box and what color and ill tell u if u can pull in the new wire

Old 01-03-00, 09:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thank you Dave! I hooked up my outlet over the weekend.