cieling fan

Old 06-02-02, 09:28 AM
M
maxi101
Visiting Guest
cieling fan

I am installing a cieling fan. I have a question about the switch that I am hooking up. The switch is a single pole with a switch on the top that I want to control thefan. There is no ght kit on the fan. The switch on the bottom i want to control a outlet onn the wall. There is a black, red and white wire coming in from the top and a black red and white coming in from the bottom(2 circuits) the grounds are tied together and wired to te switch. The red in the cileing fan is caped off. I presume that if it had a light, that would be hooked up. The instructions with the switch say to wire the unit as 2 seperate circuits. Black on one side, white on the other, breaking the tab. I have done this and there is no power from the top and the bottom trips the breaker. What do I do with the red wires and what is the proper way to wire this. I have looked in 4 elecrical books and been to 2 home improvemnt tores without sucess....thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-02, 11:34 AM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
maxi101, The reason your circuit breaker tripped, you wired a hot to neutral at the bottom switch. Those white wires should tie together underneath a wirenut. If you have one hot feed don't break the tab. Put the black wire for the fan on brass screw(upper or lower switch you determine), put the black or red wire for the receptacle on the other brass screw. If you have two hot feeds then break the tab and connect that second to the brass screw on that side of the switch. Switch circuit breaker off before you make your wiring connections.

Fred