Electrical

Old 01-09-00, 02:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am installing (2)4 outlet receptacles in a small workshop area of my basement.On the back of each of them are a pair of brass and silver screws labeled (A) and a pair labeled (B).Now I know the white wire goes to the silver screw and the black wire goes to the brass screw but how do I wire them in series?

Old 01-09-00, 11:47 PM
Visiting Guest
hi Honey-Do,
u do not want to wire your recepts in series. hook up each recep white to the silver and the black to the gold, u can use a small piece of each colored wire around 7" to jumper from 1 recep to the other in the same box, but still hook white to silver and black to gold. the reasion u diont want them wired in sires is that the voltage drops across a series circuit, and in a parall circuit it remains constant. if u would like a further explanition on serirs or parallel circuits email me and ill explain them further

Old 01-11-00, 06:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Sprky,
I would assume he didn't mean series but in-line and that is how you described your wiring.
I would have recommended that you pigtail two leads from each wire supply so that each receptacle has a separate load.
When you wire in-line, the first receptacle must carry the loads of each. Most people are using 15 amp rated receptacles on 20 amp circuits and that just wears out the receptacles sooner.
Just a suggestion.
cheers,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: