Light distance above tub

Old 06-03-02, 12:07 PM
R
RAMinKC
Visiting Guest
Light distance above tub

Had a rough-in inspection this morning on a bathroom addition and the AHJ said I needed to check the min distance from the lights above my jacuzi to the water level of the full tub. Could someone let me know what the NEC requires as a min distance? As a side note, I tried to tell him that as far as I knew, I could not stand ON the water so therefore the lights would always be +/- 8'-0" above the actual standing surface. He didn't buy it.

Thanks!

Last edited by RAMinKC; 06-04-02 at 06:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-02, 11:03 PM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
RAMinKC, The NEC does not address jacuzzi's in the code book. The imformation in article 680 "spas and hot tubs" should help.

Article 680(D) Spas and Hot Tubs
Section(b) Mounting Height of Lighting Fixtures, Lighting Outlets, and Ceiling-Suspended(Paddle)Fans.

(1) Lighting fixtures, lighting outlets, and ceiling-suspeded(paddle)fans located over the spa or hot tub or within 5 ft. (1.52m) from the inside walls of the spa or hot tub shall be a minimum of 7 ft 6in. (2.29m) above the maximum water level and shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.

Lighting fixtures, lighting outlets,and ceiling-suspended(paddle) fans that are located 12 ft. (3.66m) or more above the maximum water level shall not require a ground-fault circuit interrupter for protection.

(2) Lighting fixtures meeting the requirements of (a) or (b) and protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be permitted to be installed less than 7ft 6in. (2.29m) over a spa or hot tub.

(a) Recessed fixtures with a glass or plastic lens and nonmetallic or electrically isolated metal rim, suitable for use in damp locations.

(b) Surface-mounted fixtures with a glass or plastic globe and a nonmetallic body or a metallic body isolated from contact. Such fixtures shall be suitable for use in damp locations.

Hope this helps!

Fred

Old 06-04-02, 06:30 AM
R
RAMinKC
Visiting Guest
Fred,
Thanks for the info. I'll see if he lets me slide with what I have. Otherwise I guess I'm going to have to raise the ceiling above the tub. Wont look too bad but I was hoping I was finished roughing it in.

Old 06-04-02, 08:26 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think your inspector is worried about you standing on the edge of the Jacuzzi dripping wet and being able to touch the metal of the fixture and rightly so...... It's worth a shot asking him if you put them on a GFI protected circuit if he'll let it slide but don't bet on it