Three way outlet?

Old 01-17-00, 07:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have an 1982 home that was ocupied by less than skilled doityourselfers. Here is my quest. . . In my dining room the switces are wired at 20amp. One is a middle run ourlet with a pair in and a pair out. The other has a pair(black, white, ground) and a 3wire (black, white, red, ground). What do I do with the red wire? The red wire appears to be hot when connected to anything. Please help me before my house blows up!!!!!!
Thanks, Wyatt

Old 01-17-00, 07:32 PM
Visiting Guest
****NOw I am Registered***
I have an 1982 home that was ocupied by less than skilled doityourselfers. Here is my quest. . . In my dining room the switces are wired at 20amp. One is a middle run ourlet with a pair in and a pair out. The other has a pair(black, white, ground) and a 3wire (black, white, red, ground). What do I do with the red wire? The red wire appears to be hot when connected to anything. Please help me before my house blows up!!!!!!
Thanks, Wyatt
!Now I am Registered!

Old 01-17-00, 11:28 PM
Visiting Guest
hi Wyatt Burp,
kinda hard to tell exactily what u have with out actually seeing it, so im giveing u an educated gess.
the switch that has the 2 pairs in it has power in and a switchleg out, unless i miss my gess the whites will be tied together and the 2 blacks attached to the switch (normal wireing)
the other switch will more then likley be like this whites tied together blacks on the switch and red attached to nothing (normal wireing). if the red shows hot by testing id take down the light and c what the red is attached 2 if its attached to the same wire as the black then remove it. alot of times we will pull 3 conductor cabel 2 a celling light 4 future use on a celling fan, and not use the red. like i said with out seeing this its hard to say what they have done im giveing u an educated gess from experence. but with less than do it yourselfers liveing there who knows what they have done id call an electrician if i were u.

Old 01-18-00, 05:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Wyatt, perhaps a little more explanation will helps us.

1) What are you trying to accomplish? ie) Why did you start this investigation in the first place? Is a light not working or are you trying to run a new outlet, hook up a dimmer? Most people don't take plates off just for fun.

2) What did you do to determine that "The red wire appears to be hot when connected to anything"? You see the red in the switch box. Have you found the other end?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: