static on phone line

Old 06-04-02, 10:15 AM
Stanb
Visiting Guest
Angry static on phone line

Please help. I have static on my phone line which makes it difficult to hear and causes my computer to operate slowly or sometimes lose the internet connection. When I unplug all of my phones and computer from the phone outlets overnight, the line clears up. When I unplug the phones overnight and leave the computer connected, the static remains. What part of the computer or conductor could cause the static. Any suggections on how to diagnose this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-02, 11:05 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Keep the phone cords as far away as you can from the monitor.

Old 06-04-02, 12:15 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you may have a phone that is faulty.

Try disconnecting all the phones from the system for about an hour. Then leave all phones and your computer disconnected except one phone overnight. Then see if the static is there in the morning. If you sill have static in the morning then disconnect that phone and set it aside. After about an hour wait connect a different phone to the sytem but only one and leave overnight. If the static is clear in the morning then add one phone at a time for the overnight test. When the static reappears mark that phone and disconnect.

You are using a process of elimination to discover which phone or possibly the computer is causing your static.

May just be too many phones for the system but may be a tip and ringer bad on one of hte phones.

You said the line clears overnight if you leave all disconnected. Just connect one phone at a time to a clear phone system until you hear the static and suspect the last phone added to be the bad boy.

Let us know what you find.

Wg

Old 06-04-02, 04:24 PM
wyres
Visiting Guest
Phone static is not something that normally takes time to clear up with phones disconneced.

Do you have a demark box? Usually a grey thing where the phone line comes in the house. Open it up and see if you see a modular phone jack inside.

Older phone line installations may not have this type of box.

When you are getting static, take a "known good" phone, disconnect the plug inside the box, and plug your phone into the jack. If you still hear static, the problem is in the telephone companys wires, and they should fix it for free. If the line is clear at the demark box, the problem is in your wires, and is your problem to fix. (or pay to fix)

The #1 cause of noise on a phone line is poor connections. Look at all of your jacks and junctions and tighten the screws. If you have older wiring, look for corrosion, particularly outdoors. You can shine up the wires with sandpaper if they are corroded. Broken wires can cause this problem too. Listen to your phone while jiggling the wires.

The problem coming and going with time of day may indicate weather is an influence, suggesting outdoor wires, (yours or the phone companies) are a good place to look first.

Old 06-07-02, 10:48 AM
Stanb
Visiting Guest
Angry static on phone line

The problem has changed to no dial tone/dead phone line with all appliances disconnected. The phone co says that I have a 694 ohm short. Appreciate suggestions on how I find the short.

Old 06-07-02, 01:24 PM
J
No magic. Just takes patience and thoroughness. Open up the outside phone box and disconnect the test jack before you start (to avoid shocks). Then look in the outside box and all inside phone boxes. Make sure all the connections are well made, and nothing is touching anything it shouldn't. Make sure the jacks don't have any bent pins -- consider replacing all the jacks.

If this fails, you may have driven a nail into the phone cable somewhere. You can completely disconnect the jacks one by one from the cable, starting with the jack farthest away from the outside box, to see when the problem goes away.

Last edited by John Nelson; 06-07-02 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-08-02, 11:41 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
A faulty phone or flaw in a computer or its connection will do as you are discribing. Disonnect all phones and other phone related apperatuses. Unplug the demark where your house wiring is plugged into the phone comany's box. Wait about 20 minutes then plug a good phone in that demark box. If you have a good phone connection outside with your phone plugged into the phone company's demark box then plug in your house again and wait about 20 minutes with every phone related apperatus unplugged in the house. The plug one phone and see if all is working fine. If that phone works then you house wiring is ok. IF you phone won't work right while plugged into the house but does work right at the demark box outside then you have a dead short in your house wiring. If you phone works both outside and also works when one phone is tested inside the house then you have a phone apperatus that is not working right causing your problem. Once you have one phone working right in the house the plug one phone apperatus in at a time waiting about 20 minutes after each phone apperatus has been plugged in. If you lose you phones suspect a bad phone apperatus at the last item you plugged in. Unplug that last item and wait about 20 minutes and see if you get your phones back. If so that phone apperatus you last unplugged is bad.

HOpe this helps

Wg

Old 06-08-02, 12:19 PM
J
What are all those 20-minute waits for? Are we waiting for the slower electrons to catch up?

Old 06-08-02, 12:32 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
On some phone systems it takes time for the line check to hit that particular phone system in that house then auto clear and reset to operate again. I suggested the 20 minute wait to limit them jumping the gun and not allowing time for that phone company to reset a shorted line to operate again. If they didn't wait enough time for the auto reset to activate then they would be misled in their diagnostic attempt.

In my area if you leave a phone off the hook the phone company sends a strong beeping through the line's ear piece. If the phone is not hung up then the phone line is de-energized and auto line check hits that house periodically looking for the lines to clear. Once the line clears the auto reconnect activates and goes back to the normal mode so the phones can recconnect.

I suspect they have a bad phone apperatus with a short or bad tip and ringer instead of a short in the wiring. The demark and first phone inside the dwelling test would tell them if it is a wiring problem in the house or a bad appuratus if they uplug everthing and plug one at a time until the problem reappears. The 20 minute delay between plugging in and testing allows for the phone company to react again to a bad phone or computer connnection to tell them this is where their problem is.

Wg

Old 06-09-02, 12:15 PM
Stanb
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up phone problems

This is a very good web site and Goodrich is a very good phone man. Checking the last phone outlet, I found a broken conductor. After reinstalling, I plugged in a telephone and found no change. (No dial tone) Today I plugged in the phone, waited the 20 minutes and presto a dial tone. I can't adequately express my appreciation. Thanks very much.

Old 06-09-02, 01:22 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
stanb while I appreciate you positive comments about me you really need to give credit to John Nelson. He believed your problem to be a bad wire in the house wiring. I believed your problem to be a bad phone or computer program. While waiting cleared your lines the waiting was an automatic entity. John lead you to the broken wire. Congrats John !

Thanks anyway though

Wg

Old 10-10-09, 06:46 AM
N
???? Waiting

why would you keep telling him to wait for something like that? I have yet to see a situation where i had to wait to make the problem reoccur. The first thread you posted would take someone a week to finish with the overnight method. It just doesnt make sense to me. Could you explain why you keep saying that?

Old 10-10-09, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I doubt there will be a response..since the thread is 7 years old....