electrical switch

Old 01-16-00, 04:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Please help with this: Receptacle on switch hot all the time, when it never used to be. Switch replaced without change. Brass plate broken between the 2 outlets. Why? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-00, 05:27 PM
Visiting Guest
hi lynn,
my gess is u have a bad switch, if all u did was replace the switch and didnt chainge any thing else. with the tab on the recep broken on the hot im assuming that its a split wired recep top switched and bottom full time hot. if u replaced the recep check 2 be sure that all the tab got broken off, i have seen a small piece remain and make contact, makeing the recep full time hot

Old 01-16-00, 05:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply! But I guess it is more complicated. A receptacle on the other side of the room (same circuit breaker) was replaced. Subsequent to that this outlet was found to be non-responsive to the switch. We did not change this outlet at all. It had been responsive to the switch before. It appears that the tab piece is completely broken (no change from previous) and the wiring was not touched at the outlet. I really don't understand this!

Old 01-17-00, 10:52 PM
Visiting Guest
hi lynn,
ok i hope im understanding this correctly.
u just replaced an outlet on other side of the room and now the switch controled recep dont work with nothing else being touched.it has to be something in the recep u chainged if im correct on what took place.
i have a few ? and mabe i can help ya out.
was the tab broken on the recep u replaced? if so did u break the new 1?
how many wire were connected to the old recep? did u connect the wires excatily as the came off? how many wires r in the box and what colors?

Old 01-18-00, 11:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi Sprky
Thanks for your help! I don't know the status of the tab on the old recep, but I didn't break the new one. The wires are red, yellow (on the hot side), and white (neutral). They are connected as they were on the old one. Compared the wires on other receps to be the same. Should I try to break the tab on the new recep (not the one connected to the switch)? Thanks!

Old 01-19-00, 04:13 PM
Visiting Guest
hello lynn,
im starting to wounder if all the receps in this room r split wired. u said u hooked every thing as it was except u dont know if tab on old recep was broke. id do this first befor breaking the tab. with the switch off take a tester and put 1 probe on the white and 1 on the red,check your reading then do same 4 yellow. im betting 1 will read 120 and other 0. if this is what u find break the tab. let me know how it goes

Old 01-20-00, 08:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks, I'll try it this weekend when I get a tester. I'll let you know how it goes. I checked out all the receps in 2 rooms. None of the others have the same wiring. Some have 1 hot, 1 neutral; some have 2 neutral, 2 red or black to the same terminal; one has 2 neutral and 2 red to one terminal and 1 red to the other.

Old 01-24-00, 09:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks Sprky! The red-white combo tested hot while the yellow-white was 0. I broke the plate between the terminals and the problem was solved! I sure learned a lot from this! Thanks again! lynn