Service Current

Old 06-05-02, 01:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Service Current

When we speak of 100 Amp (60 Amp, 200 Amp) service, what exactly is it that determines this amount? Is this amount supplied by the power company, or is it the size of the service entrance cable and main breaker that allows the certain amount of current to be drawn?

When I upgrade from my current 60-Amp service to 200-Amp, do I need to ask the power company to supply me with this new amount? Also, will I need a new meter?

I always thought that the power company supplied the 120/240V 3-wire service, and the amount of current available was determined by the load placed on the breakers by whatever appliances, etc, that I use.
Old 06-05-02, 05:08 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Sometimes the power company will upgrade all houses on a block to 200A service during maintenance upgrades, however that is not usually the case. The wires to the house have to be upgraded, and sometimes the local transformer upgraded if too many houses are switching to 200A service.
Old 06-05-02, 08:28 AM
HandyRon's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 1,365
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your service size is determined by the main breaker in your main panel. The conductors feeding the main circuit breaker should be coordinated.
Those conductors are not always coordinated with the size of the main breaker because the utility company determines those sizes based on the demand load of your service, not what you think it should be.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: