undercabinet lights

Old 06-05-02, 07:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
undercabinet lights

I want to put undercabinet halogen lights under my soon-to-be-installed kitchen cabinets. I want to make the wiring to the power source as invisible as possible (i.e., hard-wired), but the only kind of lights I can find are the plug-in type.

Should I be able to find hard-wired undercabinet lights? If I have to resort to the plug-in type, can I install the 15 amp receptacle inside the cabinet and still meet Code? I don't want to waste my countertop GFCI receptacles on these lights.

My walls are currently open, so any kind of wiring configuration is possible.
Old 06-05-02, 07:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Under cabinet halogen does come in 12 or even 24 volts systems with both remote transformer and inline transformers. Alkco has modular fixtures that are a pleasure to install but expensive, shaped like under cabinet slim fluorescent fixtures. Juno Danalyte is a 1" square aluminum tube. Then there are the hockey puck shaped & sized fixtures and also miniature track systems from several manufacturers.
Old 06-05-02, 08:52 AM
HandyRon's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 1,365
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are plenty of 120V hard wired fixtures. Keep checking! Slim t5 flour. lamps.
Old 06-05-02, 12:12 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Do you have space ABOVE your cabinets? You can install an outlet
for your transformer there.
Old 06-06-02, 12:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Check out http://www.eclecticlighting.homestea...lightbars.html

They have some nice uc lighting and you can hard wire as needed.
BTW, I've been told that you can replace the halogen bulbs with xenon bulbs, which are not nearly as hot. Good luck
Old 06-06-02, 01:53 PM
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 510
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Juno has a system that uses their 12V track system which is designed for undercabinet use. Check out "linear lighting":

Old 06-08-02, 08:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I don't know why you couldn't install outlets inside the cupboards. Over-the range Microwaves are designed to be plugged into an outlet in the cupboard above them.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: