Need more power!

Old 06-06-02, 12:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Need more power!

I've been using an extension cord (110) from the house to my small shop to provide power. I also made an (220) extension cord out of 10 gauge (3 wire) to run a stick welder I use on occasion.

My question? I would like to run the extension for 220 to a breaker box and provide one outlet for (220) and one outlet for (110) "not" to be used at the same time. My thought was I could use single poll breakers and use only one of the tools at a time.

One major concern was making sure that I was able to properly terminate the ground.

Can this be properly done with the (3) wire?
Old 06-06-02, 02:16 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
If you use a 220 to 110 transformer. Otherwise, there is no
safe way to do it.
Old 06-06-02, 06:52 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you eliminate the kludgy aspects of your wiring and properly install a 3-wire plus ground cable, you can put a subpanel in your shop and get what you want. You'll need a grounding rod and a properly installed and secured cable, but the results will be worth it.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: