No lights - Help

Old 01-30-00, 12:51 PM
Visiting Guest
In my basement I have 4 incandescent lights that are controlled by one dimmer switch. Recently, one of the lights stopped working so I went to the local home depot and purchased a new one. When I was attempting to take the light bulb out of the fixture that wasn't working there was a bright flash, and all of a sudden none of the 4 lights are working. The dimmer switch that controls the four lights is a "lighted" dimmer, and the light on the dimmer switch is still working. I assume this means that the dimmer is still working. I removed the fixture that was broken and tested the wires with a multitester, and I get no reading. I have tried flipping the switches on the circuit panel, but this has done nothing. If anyone can help me figure out what my problem is, it would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-00, 09:59 PM
Visiting Guest
hi craig,
your first mistake was working on a live circuit. there r several possabilitys here.
1. there could be a gfi in the circuit and u triped it removeing the bulb on a live curcuit. 2. your dimmer could have been a solid state dimmer and u blew the circuitery.
1 sure way to elimate the switch/dimmer is to shut off power to the circuit remove the dimmer and wirenut the 2 black wires together and then turn the circuit back on if your lights light then u have a bad switch/dimmer. if they dont light then start looking 4 a triped gfci. if these 2 dont fix your problem let me know and ill c what i can doi to help u out.

Old 01-31-00, 08:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much. It turned out that my dimmer switch blew. Once I replaced that, I was up and running again.