Tapping existing circuit

Old 01-31-00, 08:05 AM
Visiting Guest

I wish to extend an existing circuit in my house which presently has a 15A Circuit
breaker , 120V supply. I wish to add a couple of 75W Recessed lights to the circuit -
presently the circuit has hardly anything
running off it ie <1800Watts ... so adding
the recessed lights shouldn't be an issue ...

This is how I'm going to potentially add
them with a switch ...

source switch
B-----------{}------B---|light|--|light|-WN
W-------------------W---| |--| |-WN

The switch will have a ground screw on , and all lights will be grounded.

B - Black (Hot)
W - White Neutral
WN - Wire Nut

Does the above circuit hold up ?

Old 01-31-00, 10:20 AM
Visiting Guest
You need the lights in parallel not in series
black------s-----I--light---I-----white
I I
I I
I--light---I

Old 01-31-00, 10:35 AM
Visiting Guest
oops that picture compressed, the lights should have a black wire run to one side from the switch and a white (neutral) to a common return line.

Old 01-31-00, 11:12 AM
Visiting Guest

Are there any good diagrams for connecting in parallel - I've looked online and can't find any anywhere - also - do i need a permit to extend an existing circuit like this ?

Any help appreciated - thx

Brian

Old 01-31-00, 03:03 PM
Visiting Guest
try web site www.nscdiscovery.org/FortDiscovery/CommunicationsGallery/ParallelCircuits.htm
I'm not sure what your local codes are. Also make sure your circuit can handle the additional lode.

Old 01-31-00, 04:57 PM
Visiting Guest

thanks ....

Old 01-31-00, 11:40 PM
Visiting Guest
hi aviator97,
im going to give u a crash corse in ohms law,
according to ohms power forluma of P= I x E where p = power(watts...W), I= corrent (amps.....A) and E= voltage....V. whin u rearange the forluma useing algebra u get P/E = I, putting in the info from your post we get the following
1800 W/120V = 15 A........whin u add in the 2 75 wat lights u overload the circuit.
this would require a 16.25 amp circut since theres no breaker this size u need a 20 amp, which brings up nother problem, being on a 15 amp breaker im asuming that its wired in #14 which is only good 4 15 amps , if by chaince its wired in # 12 just repalice the breaker and u will be in busineess. now on 2 wireing the lights. hook the black from the switch to the black on the lights and the whites on the lights to the white, your drawning looked good after reading that it got compressedand how u plained on wireing it ............check with your local building athority on permit and souch.

[This message has been edited by sprky (edited February 01, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: