poppin, smokin switch

Old 01-30-00, 09:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I came home from work and my son said he turned on his switch (dimmer for a ceiling fan) and he heard a small pop and then smelled a hint of smoke. Should I have a new switch put on or is it worse than that?
G.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-00, 11:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Unless the fan was wired with separate fan/
light circuits to the switch box, you do
NOT use a normal lamp dimmer on a ceiling fan, but a special ceiling fan speed control,
if your fan manufacturer doesn't recommend
against them.

Old 01-30-00, 11:18 PM
Visiting Guest
hello g,
from the info u have given ill bet u had a normal solid state dimmer on the celling fan. gary is right u never want to use a normal light dimmer on a celling fan. its ok 2 use a normal dimmer on the light of the fan but the fan has 2 be on a seperat switch from the light 4 this 2 take place. if u only have 1 switch controlling this fan u need a spical switch that u can get from your local electrical supply house just go there and tell them u want a fan control switchcapabel of dimming light and u have 1 switchtheyll help u,out oon this, your other option and cheapest is 2 just repalice the dimmer with a standard single pole switch.

Old 02-03-00, 02:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanx for the replies, Gary and sprky...I went the cheap way and put in a single pole switch..no prob. Thanx again
G.