determining Amps incoming to house

Old 06-07-02, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
determining Amps incoming to house

In middle of buying a new house (hopefully will be in by Aug 1) and have a couple questions about the electrical:

it was listed as a 100amp there any way to upgrade to 200amp?

how do i figuire how much 100amps can handle?

how and when should i do inspections to make sure the it's all running fine?

thanks in advance for your help
Old 06-07-02, 08:22 AM
HandyRon's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 1,365
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To determine the size of your service, look at the size of the main switch or circuit breaker. Then remove the panel cover from that main, and see the size wire the feeds it. Generally, a 100A service should have #4 copper or #2 aluminum connected to the line side (input side).
Again generally, any service can be upgraded to 200A if needed. Some are harder than others, but they all can be done. Inspect the electric before signing contracts or after contracts (make the contract contingent on your inspection).
Old 06-07-02, 10:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
thanks alot

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: