Dangerous! Water in fuse box

Old 06-07-02, 08:19 AM
P
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
Dangerous! Water in fuse box

I have a basement seepage issue at the joint with the wall and the floor. This is nothing new.....yesterday while doing some standard mopping I noticed some dampness under my fuse box. There was a small drip coming from it! The top and all other sides of the box are dry. The line coming in from the outside is dry. The box is installed on the foundation and not the frame.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-02, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check with a meter that the panel cover is not energized, then if not, remove the cover and try to determine where the water is comming from. If it is seeping in from the back foundation wall, then you could attemp to remount the box on fire rated CDX plywood.

Old 06-07-02, 08:29 AM
P
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
Thanks much!

Is this the same type of meter that is used on an outlet or something different?

Old 06-07-02, 09:15 AM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
PJMORGAN, After you have determined the service panel is not energized, remove the cover and check your service cable at the point where it comes inside the box. Look and see if their are any traces of water leaking from inside the cable sheath(gray thermoplastic covering)dripping down to the panel bottom. If water is coming in from there your problem is inside the meter can on the back of the house. Also check for corrosion damage at the main circuit breaker and or rust damage at the ground/neutral bars.

Fred

Old 06-07-02, 01:32 PM
J
PJMorgan, the meter to which HandyRon refers is a voltmeter.

Old 06-08-02, 11:56 AM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Water in a panel box mounted inside the basement is commonly caused by the following;

Weather head is without a droop loop in the wires allowing water to track down the wires exposed to weather into the riser then through the meter then through the conduit into the inside panel.

Solved by

Weather head or goose leg so the oultet of the wires from your riser is facing down causing a "u" shape in the wire making any water running on those wires exposed ot weather to drip off instead of run into the pipe.

Could be a panel outside exposed to the weather that is not weather proof approved for oustide use.

Solved by;

Change that panel to the required weather proof panel that will shed water from weather related sources.

Could be a weather proof panel that is leaking due to a bad storm or other reason that water forced its way into a weather proof box located exposed to bad weather.

Solved by;

Weatherproof boxes are required to have a weep hole in the bottom of hte box that will allow water that may enter that weather proof panel to drain out stopping that water from accumilating within that box. If you have a weather proof box and water in that box building up then you eitehr have a plugged weep hole or no weep hole as required. Clear or produce that weep hole as required for weatherproof boxes to allow drainage of any water entering that box.

Could be condensation caused by hot air hitting cold air.

Solve by;

Panels are required to be separated by 1/4" from any masonary wall. Masonary walls have sulpher which will cause rapid deteriation of metal panel or junction boxes etc. the 1/4" is required to allow air flow to keep that area between the masonary wall and the boxes dry. You may use short pieces of conduit or washers or treated plywood or treated boards to isolate the metal panels etc. from that masonary wall.

If you have condensation you may have hot air outside flowing through your conduit protecting the wires entering from outside the building to inside the building into that electrical box. The NEC requires that that conduit be plugged by a nonconductive material such as duct seal or fiberglass insulation to stop that hot are from entering that panel where it is cool causing condenstion forming water within that panel or box.

Hope the above helps

Wg

Old 06-08-02, 06:36 PM
P
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
Thank you for all the input!

What is a weather head?

We have had an unusually rainy spring so I believe that I do have water coming in from outside. The line coming into the house comes down on an angle into the box. However the outsode of the line is dry leading me to believe that the water is travelling insode the line. I will check my meter to see if it has water in it but what is this weather head you speak of?

Old 06-09-02, 08:20 AM
Re: Thank you for all the input!

Originally posted by PJMorgan
What is a weather head?

We have had an unusually rainy spring so I believe that I do have water coming in from outside. The line coming into the house comes down on an angle into the box. However the outsode of the line is dry leading me to believe that the water is travelling insode the line. I will check my meter to see if it has water in it but what is this weather head you speak of?
The weather head is the termination fitting at the top of the service entry cable were the service entry cable is seperated into individual conductors so it can be conected to the service drop from the utility companies pole. If it is badly coroded or it's cover is missing or if the conductors were not formed into loops the bottoms of which are lower than the top of the service entry cable then water will enter the inside of the cable. That water will pass through the meter can by following the neutral conductor and drip into the interior of the service equipment enclosure.
--
Tom