ceiling fan

Old 02-05-00, 11:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

The ceiling fan light will only work while the fan is running also. I can use the fan without the light but not the other way around. I have 2 leads from the main,(blk, wht). Any ideas..I don't always need the fan.

G.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-00, 12:10 PM
Visiting Guest
The only way to correct this situation is to install a three wire to your ceiling box so you have two independent switch legs.
However, you stated you cannot use the fan without the light. This should be possible as you have two fixture chains, one for light, one for fan. You just need to switch one or the other off when you don't want them running simultaneously.
This is true unless you have a fan of the older vintage, that is more than 10 years old. All fans today come with their own chains and light kits have their own as well.

Old 02-05-00, 12:56 PM
Visiting Guest
hello g,
on your celling fan u shuld have 2 pull chains, 1 is 4 the light and other is 4 the fan just turn on the switch and pull the chain untill the fan stops, your fan is more then likley a 3 speed fan since most celling fans r 3 speed, then whin u want the fan on just pull the chain. and if u want to run the fan and not the light just pull the light pull chain.

Old 02-05-00, 02:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanx 4 the replies sprky n david, but as I looked beyond the spaghetti of colored wires I noticed the line was going from the ceiling to the fan switch then to the light. By using a spare 18 awg wire that was doing nothing up ther, I split from the main wire, taking one to the fan switch and the other to the light. It works...but am I ok with that?
G.

Old 02-06-00, 07:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Unless the spare wire was your bare ground
wire, you are OK.

BTW most ceiling fans with lights I'e seen have 3 pull chains; Lamp, speed, reverse.