dedicated circuit?

Old 06-08-02, 02:49 PM
K
kimmisc
Visiting Guest
Question dedicated circuit?

I know this is going to seem like a silly question to most here.

I have been looking at home tanning beds, and most of the larger ones require 220 volt circuits, while some of the canopies and smaller beds only require 110 volt circuits.

So anyhow, on the descriptions of the beds, they advertise that the 110 volt ones can be run on normal home wiring.. "no additional wiring needed" and such.. yet in the fine print it says a 110 volt dedicated circuit is needed. So, does a dedicated circuit not require additional wiring??

Elsewhere, I read that any home with large appliances does have double phase, yada yada.... whatever, and likely has 220 voltage. Beds that use 220 volts require their own circuit also of course.

So either way it is beginning to seem to me like either type will require installing an additional circuit along with a circuit breaker for the bed's circuit. Is this correct?

I know nothing about electrical wiring in a home, and unfortunately I've been unable to find any helpful information on this in terms that someone who's not an electrician (or knows nearly as much) can understand. Any help in understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-02, 04:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When they say "dedicated circuit", they are only referring to the fact that the tanning bed will consume all the available power on that circuit. So you could plug this into any circuit that had absolutely nothing else running on it during the use of the tanning bed.

If you map out the circuits of your house and all the load each one supports, you can probably find one that you can plug the tanning bed into. You may need to educate everyone else in the house about what they can and cannot turn on while the tanning bed is in use.

If you do buy a 240-volt tanning bed, then you'll almost certainly need to have a new circuit run, as it is extremely unlikely that you will have an appropriate circuit available where you want your bed. If you have available space in your panel, and if you want to locate the tanning bed in the same room as the panel, then this is pretty easy.

Old 06-08-02, 04:27 PM
K
kimmisc
Visiting Guest
Thank you. That helps alot.