rewiring old lamp

Old 01-24-00, 07:12 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm rewiring an old candlestick lamp. Standard
wire is too thick to thread through the lamp. First, is smaller guage wire available? I haven't seen it at the hardware store. Is there an on-line source for stuff like this and maybe even vintage lamp parts?

Old 01-24-00, 06:31 PM
Visiting Guest
hello lyn,
what u need to do is go to your local hardwear store and buy yourself some lamp cord, its usually around 18 gage wire and it has 2 wires in it that pull apart, some times they call it zip cord. the wire that looks diferent is the nutural some times its flat,or has a ridge , or slash marks, it looks diferent then the other. the nutural wire goes to the shell of the lamp socket(where the bulb screws into) and the hot goes to the buttion in the bottom of the socket. the nutural goes to the widest blade on the plugin, and hot to other. if u need an inline switch this goes on the hot( switch thats in the cord)...hope this helps u out

Old 01-25-00, 05:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Sparky
Thanks for your input but I know all that. My problem is twhat standard lamp cord is too thick to go through the stem of my candlestick lamp. I need thinner guage lamp cord. Which they didn't seem to have. Is there an online source for lamp parts or electrical parts that would have something like this?

Old 01-25-00, 03:37 PM
Visiting Guest
hi lyn,
you will just have to do some searching on the net i dont know of any. use a good search program like yahoo or infoseek

Old 01-26-00, 12:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Perhaps I can help here. Find an electronics supplier (even Radio Shack) and check their bins for wire rolls. You may be better served to thread individual wires using 20 AWG with a teflon insulation. All this is pretty inexpensive and this is something that the hardware stores do not carry.

Smokey

Old 01-27-00, 09:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Smokey! I think you've hit on something. Though I am a little skeptical about electrical advice from a guy with your user name

Old 01-27-00, 04:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Owch! The moniker came from the fact that my specialty is automotive. My actual vocation is Electrical Engineer. I hope that you don't get turned off by the moniker. Most of all, I hope that you come back and visit us often. Your moderators are all professionals. Sparky is a great electrican, I'm a good Electrical Engineer, and we work together to solve your problems.
Have a good life and be kind to one another.
Smokey

Old 01-29-00, 12:36 AM
Visiting Guest
You might went to ask for sp-1 spt-1 zip cord, it has smaller insulation, then normally sold. I live in a small rural community and I can get it at ACE Hardware.

Old 02-08-00, 12:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Well, as it turns out, the solution wasn't in the cord but in drilling a slightly larger hole in the end of the lamp stem. It took a second and now my two refurbished candlestick lamps look beautiful!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: