kitchen light will not turn off !!

Old 02-09-00, 06:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Ok, here is the story, any help will be greatly appreciated:

First I turned off the main power switch/circuit breaker. Then we installed a new kitchen ceiling light. Turned power back on, heard a "buzzing" noise in the panel box. Power came on to half the house. After repeated attempts, called in electrician. He replaces the main circuit panel switch, power came back on!! Noticed later that night, that the kitchen light will now NOT TURN OFF!. We have been adivised that something happened to the wall switch for the light. Since it is controlled by two switches (a 3 way switch??) I replaced both of them. Put the wires in exactly the same way we took them out. Still have the same problem, kitchen light will not turn off! Is it possible that I have the wires in the light itself backwards? Could that cause the light to stay on? Could it be something else in the breaker box? Note, there is another ceiling kitchen light, controlled by a 3rd switch, and that is operating fine. Any suggestions???

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-00, 05:57 PM
Visiting Guest
hello golden,
sounds 2 me like u have the light wired into a full time hot, since switching the hot and the nutural dont affect how the light works.i need a bit more info 2 help u.
1. were ther more then 3 wires in the box a black white and bare? if so
2.tell me what color wires were in the celling box and how many of each color
3. what color wire is on what colored screw of the switch and ill do my best 2 help u out

Old 02-09-00, 09:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

This is a most interesting problem. Normally when something goes bad right after working on something, the problem can usually be found right where you did the work. Such as, "If the light worked before you replaced it, then the problem is most likely at the new light connection." But from what you describe it seems like there is more to the problem. When half the house power went out after hearing the buzz in the panel, that tells me that you lost one of the phases. The electrician replaced your main breaker and that solved the problem - partially. It sounds like you wired the new light in wrong, possibly wiring a phase to ground and the fault took out the mainbreaker. But that does not tell us why the light will not turn off. The only way the light cannot turn off is if it is directly wired to the a hot wire. Sounds to me like you acceessed another hot that was located in the light conduit box and inadvertantly wired to that. That is why you cannot turn the light off. What you need to do is turn off nreakers one at a time and see when the light turns off and you may be able to tell if you are wired into another circuit. How many wires are in the box? If there are more than three, a black, white, and green, then this may be the problem. Write back and let me know.

Hal

[email protected]

Old 02-10-00, 05:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. I will answer your questions IN CAPS as best I can.

SPRKY:

1. were ther more then 3 wires in the box a black white and bare? THE THREE WIRES WERE A BLACK, RED, AND WHITE. I REPLACED BOTH WALL SWITCHES WITH SAME MODEL, AND PUT THEM IN EXACTLY THE SAME WAY AS I TOOK OUT THE OLD ONES. (BLACK AND RED WERE ON ONE SIDE OF THE SWTICH, WHITE ON THE OTHER SIDE BY ITSELF.)

2.tell me what color wires were in the celling box and how many of each color I HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH THE OLD LIGHT, AND A NEW LIGHT (AFTER TURNING OFF THE POWER). THERE ARE 3 WIRES, A WHITE, A BLACK, AND A GROUND. THE GROUND WAS NEVER HOOKED UP. I TRIED THE WIRES BOTH WAYS, JUST IN CASE I HAD MIXED THEM UP. THE LIGHT STAYS ON REGARDLESS OF HOW THOSE TWO WIRES (WHIRE/BLACK) ARE HOOKED UP.
3. what color wire is on what colored screw of the switch and ill do my best 2 help u out
IP HAVE TO RECHECK THAT ONE. I DID PUT THEM IN EXACTLY THE SAME WAY AS THE OLD SWITCH. I EVEN TRIED DIFFERENT COMBOS, BUT NOTHING HELPED.

hal:

This is a most interesting problem. (I'LL SAY...LOL)Normally when something goes bad right after working on something, the problem can usually be found right where you did the work. Such as, "If the light worked before you replaced it, then the problem is most likely at the new light connection." But from what you describe it seems like there is more to the problem. When half the house power went out after hearing the buzz in the panel, that tells me that you lost one of the phases. The electrician replaced your main breaker and that solved the problem - partially. It sounds like you wired the new light in wrong, possibly wiring a phase to ground and the fault took out the mainbreaker. But that does not tell us why the light will not turn off. The only way the light cannot turn off is if it is directly wired to the a hot wire. Sounds to me like you acceessed another hot that was located in the light conduit box and inadvertantly wired to that. THERE ARE ONLY THREE WIRES FROM THE LIGHT FIXTURE BOX, A BLACK, WHITE, AND GROUND. THE GROUND WAS NEVER HOOKED UP. I HOOKED UP OLD AND NEW LIGHT EXACTLY THE SAME WAY AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY....I EVEN TRIED SWITCHING THEM..LIGHT STILL STAYS ON... That is why you cannot turn the light off. What you need to do is turn off nreakers one at a time and see when the light turns off and you may be able to tell if you are wired into another circuit. How many wires are in the box? WHICH BOX? I EXPLAINED FURTHER UP HOW MANY/WHAT COLORS WERE IN CEILING BOX AND OUTLET BOX...If there are more than three, a black, white, and green, then this may be the problem. Write back and let me know. ABOUT THE BREAKER BOX IN BASEMENT..WHEN I TURN OFF THE ONE MARKED "KITCHEN", I LOSE POWER TO REFRIDGE, MICROWAVE, BUT NOT LIGHTS (EVEN THE SECOND "GOOD" CEILING LIGHT). THE ONLY WAY I CAN TURN OFF BOTH LIGHTS IN KITCHEN IS BY TURNING OFF THE "MAIN" BREAKER SWITHC. COULD IT BE SOMETHING IN THE PANEL?

I REALLY APPRECIATE BOTH OF YOUR REPLIES...THIS ONE STUMPS ME...AND ANY HELP AGAIN WILL BE APPRECIATED...SORRY FOR THE CAPS, JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD BE EASIER FOR YOU TO READ.

Old 02-11-00, 02:00 PM
Visiting Guest
hello,
im sure u r not going to like hearing this but after reading all the posts i recomend u call an electrician back in to help u if only way 4 u to get the lights to go off is flipping thew main then u defenitly have some problems.