installing a chandelier

Old 02-12-00, 01:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I purchased a chandelier without wiring instructions. The chandelier has two wires plus a ground wire that is not insulated. The other two wires are insulated. The overhead box has 3 black wires and 3 white wires with with 3 wrapped and capped uninsulated copper wires. I have one dimmer switch and another flick swith that turns this on. How should I hook this up so the light dims with the dimmer?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-00, 06:15 PM
Visiting Guest
hello jssfin,
from the info u have given i cant tell u exactily how 2 hook up your new light. on the light u hook the black 2 the switch leg, the white 2 the nutural and bare 2 the ground. with 3 blacks and 3 whites in the box its hard 2 say how it was wired befor, if u removed a light from this location and disconnected all these wires hook them back same way they were.if no light was there u will have 2 do some testing 2 c where power is at and which r switch legs, and if power feeds on out. let me know if u need further help on this

Old 02-14-00, 05:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks,
There was no light there before however I have more info. Two blacks and a white in the ceiling were wrapped and capped. There were two whites wrappped which I attached one wire from the too and a single black which I attached the other wire from the light too. I then grounded the ground wire.
The light works from the switch and from the dimmer switch it works but does not dim(always bright). Any ideas why the dim does not work.

Old 02-15-00, 08:21 PM
Visiting Guest
hello jssfin,
it kinda sounds like there may be power and 2 switch legs for a single pole switch in this light. inorder 4 a light 2 be switched from 2 diferent locations this requires a 3way.remove switches from wall but dont disconect wires from them if this is a 3way setup there will be 3 wires attached 2 the switch all with a covering disregard the bare,(quick tipoff more times then not there will be a red wire in box or attached 2 switch on a 3way,3ways can be done useing 2 wirecabel but not the norm).if there is only 2 wires attached 2 switch and no 3rd wire in box not connected then u have a single pole switch setup and need 2 do isolate the switch legs,u will have 2 do some testing with a voltage meter and an ohm meter or conunity light to determin this. take down the light and with both switches off set your meter to read voltage. place 1 leg of meter to a black and other to the white that is in same cabel as the black, keep doing this 2 all 3 and c if 1 of them is power. whin and if u locate 1 cabel that is power mark it in some way. now turn power off in the panel 2 this circuit, test 2 be sure that there is no power on the switch then turn switch on and set meter to read ohms and place 1 leg of meter on a black and other on white both again in same cabel till u get a reading, this will be the switch leg 4 this switch. now do same 4 other switch. after u isolate the switch legs u will use only 1 switch, cap off the switch leg u dont want to use and put it in box. now hook the following to gether hot black to white of switch leg, black of switchleg to light black, white of light to hot white, ground just as befor. if u determin that this is a 3way setup then u would need a 3way dimmer, and 1 cabel would be hot 1 switchleg/power and other more then likley power out