Cartridge Fuse Question

Old 06-10-02, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cartridge Fuse Question

I want to run an extra 20a dedicated circuit to a bathroom to operate a combination vent/light/heater. I am out of space in the old 100a fuse box in the Edison fuse locations. However, I do have a vacant cartridge fuse holder (small size). At one time there was a 220v circuit on this, but it is no longer used. Is there any compelling reason not to use one leg of the cartridge fuse circuit (with the appropriate fuse) to supply my #12 cable to the bathroom. Is there any safety issue as long as the fuse is properly labeled? Does the code address this?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-02, 11:59 AM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
There is a rule in the NEC that dictates that fustats must be used when using fuses that are screw in. I know of no violation to install your 20 amp branch circuit to that fuse block you have open on one side of that fuse block. If this fuse block is rated for 30 to 60 amps the clips holding the fuse will be larger in diameter than the 15 or 20 amp cartridge fuses. If you experience this then there is fuse reducers available on the market that allows you to reduce the larger fuse holer to smaller fuses.

Good Luck

Wg