electric eye/garage door

Old 06-10-02, 11:54 AM
jeffkmyers
Visiting Guest
Question electric eye/garage door

A construction crew accidentally knocked one side of the electric eye saftey feature on my electric garage door out of position. They said they fixed it, but my door goes down part way and then goes up again. I think the two sides of the electric eye aren't perfectly lined up. (They're installed on little brackets an inch or two off the groung.) I checked and the wiring looks OK, and when I jiggle one or the other of the photo cells I can eventually get the door to go down.
How do I get them aligned perfectly? There's no room to get behing them and try to line them up by sight.
Thanks!

Old 06-10-02, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 259 Upvotes on 210 Posts
May depend on the make of opener. My Sears opener has little green light on them that glow when the sensors are properly aligned. If yours have no such feature I would recommend a length of string and some trial and error.

Old 06-10-02, 01:28 PM
jeffkmyers
Visiting Guest
lelectric eye/garage door

Thanks for your reply. Yes, there is a green light on one and a red light on the other. If, as you say, the green light indicates a good alignment, then thta isn't my proble after all, since I have a green light. I just figured since the carpenter had knocked it out of position, that maybe he didn't align it correctly. Well, it must be some other reason that the door goes down a little and then back up. Maybe I need to spray garage door lubricant in places other than the rollers. Funny how it works fine sometimes, though. I'm stumped.

Old 06-10-02, 02:26 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No, you need green lights on both sides. Just fiddle with it until it works and then tighten down the connections well.

Let me make some wild assumptions. First, I'll assume you have a Sears GDO. I'll further assume that when you say it goes "part way down", that you are talking about a foot or so. Further let me assume that when it reverses, the lights on the motor housing flash for a bit. All of these are indications that the sensors are misaligned.

If the lights don't flash, then it is probably a binding problem instead of a sensor problem. You can usually identify a binding problem by disconnecting the door from the opener and operating it manually. This will also help identify if you have a broken spring problem (it will be very hard to operate manually).

Old 06-10-02, 04:47 PM
jeffkmyers
Visiting Guest
electric eye/garage door

Thanks for the advice. It's a Genie screw-type motor, and yes, I only get ONE green light, the red light blinks on and off if there's an obstruction; solid red is the norm. I'll try to get TWO greens. Also there may indeed be a binding problem. And there may be a rust problem, since we live in contact with the salt air (Los Angeles Harbor area). I may need to spray lubricant on everything.
I've got to go to work tonight here in a little bit, so I'm going to try these ideas on Tuesday.
Thanks again!

Old 06-10-02, 07:17 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
On a Genie one red and one green is correct. I believe the green is the transmitter and red is the receiver. As long as both LEDs are on the red is not flashing, then the electric eye should not interfere with operation. With my openers (I have three, all Genies) it's pretty easy to get the electric eyes aligned - no precision alignment is necessary.

If the electric eye was out of line, I don't think your door would budge (down) until it was fixed. It may be possible that they also jarred the door track in addition to the electric eye and that is causing your problem.

Old 06-11-02, 04:19 PM
jeffkmyers
Visiting Guest
garage door

Thanks to the tow guy, John, and Mike. With your good advice, I think I've determined that the problem isn't in the electric eye, but in the track, or actually the way the different sections of door have to go up or down section by section using rollers in a track. There does appear to be a bent spot on one of the brackets that span one particular section of the door, causing a moment when the opener just barely has the power to sustain opening or closing. At least that's what I think is the problem.
I hope I don't need a whole new door (the aluminum door is only about five years old).
Thanks again for helping me zero in on the problem!

Old 06-12-02, 05:10 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may want to adjust the auto-reverse sensitivity - it may be too sensitive right now. The procedure for making the adjustment is in the manual for the opener.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: