Open neutral

Old 06-10-02, 07:44 PM
N
Night__Bird
Visiting Guest
Open neutral

I have an electrical outlet in my home that doesn't work. The tester says "open neutral". How can I locate the source of the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-02, 08:07 PM
M
MTgets
Visiting Guest
Start with the outlet itself, with the breaker turned off, take the outlet out of the wall and locate the silver colored screw, check to make sure the white (nuetral) wire is securely tightened under the screw, if the wire is stabbed into the back of the molded plastic remove the wire and place it under the screw. The back stabbed method is a terrible connection and could be your problem.

Start with this, post back if the nuetral is secure and we will go from there.

If you can get your hands on a volt meter while the outlet is out of the wall, turn the breaker on and carefully check for 120 volts across the silver and brass screws.

Old 06-27-02, 09:02 PM
N
Night__Bird
Visiting Guest
Open Neutral

Thank you for the info. I need all the help I can get! The wires are hooked up correctly and secure (This outlet is in the middle of a circuit so it has 6 wires - 2 white, 2 black and 2 ground...if that makes a difference) I don't know what comes before or after this outlet. Outlet tester gets 120 volts between either side of the outlet and the ground, but not between the 2 poles. Any other ideas?

Old 06-27-02, 09:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay, it's still an open neutral, but it isn't open at this outlet. Use your tester to test all other receptacles on this circuit. Do any of them read okay?? The problem is probably at one of the receptacles that reads okay, or at the receptacle on either side of it. You may need to check the connections in every box on the circuit. Move all of the backstab connections to the adjacent screws on all of the receptacles. If all that fails, the problem may be inside your panel -- if so, I suggest you get professional help.

If there have been any changes to the electrical system in your house around the time this problem started, be sure to tell us about them.

Old 07-09-02, 07:32 PM
N
Night__Bird
Visiting Guest
Open Neutral

Thank you so much for all your help but I'm afraid it's hopeless. Well, the problem is in the main box and beyond me and my knowledge of electricity so I must seek professional help. Once again, thank you very much for your help