Blinking dimmer switches

Old 02-21-00, 09:38 PM
Visiting Guest
I recently had 4 dimmer switches installed by a lic. electrician. They are the switch
type that light up while in the off position.
1 was replaced because it blinked while in the off position and the lights flickered as well, he said the switch was faulty. Now I
noticed that 2 other switches in another room
blink when being used to slightly dim the room, other than that they are fine. Do these dimmers do wierd things? or are these switches defective. There are all top of the line 600/w rated with no more than 260/w on each circuit.

Old 02-23-00, 07:31 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that these dimmers are manufactured by GE. The indicators flickering when the switch is in use indicates internal leakage in dimmer itself. What I would guess is that these switches all came from the same lot and had manufacturing difficulties. This makes the entire lot of production suspect. Premature failure is not uncommon in this instance.

So, the answer is no, it is not a normal circumstance and no, these units do not normally do weird things. I use these same switches in household applications (very popular in bathroom installations) and they normally work as designed.

Smokey

Old 02-23-00, 06:45 PM
Visiting Guest
hello BrianG,
what i would do is call the electrician that installed the switches and have him come back out and correct the problem, its not normal 4 these switches to blink........lmao im betting that smokies right and they r ge switches, if they r ask your electrician if he would mind switching brands of switches we no longer use ge devices due to the many problems we had with them id recomend leviton

Old 02-24-00, 04:03 PM
Visiting Guest
I used to work for GE and I can attest that the name goes on before the quality goes in.

Smokey

Old 01-02-05, 08:09 PM
sparkie3040
Visiting Guest
Blinking dimmer switches

This also may be a sign of incorrect bulbs, as low energy lights bulbs have a tendency to flicker when used in conjunction with dimmers

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: