phone wiring ?

Old 06-11-02, 08:41 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
phone wiring ?

Im trying to add a phone jack ( note the trying) ... to a phone line for dial up access. I have underfloor ie basement access to the wiring. One phone line is new and has touch tone while another is old and doesnt. I have 2 main line 4 wire cables coming in from outside. I thought i only needed 2 wires per phone line so connected up a yellow black pair to a blue white pair and no dial tone. Do i need 4 wires to the jack for one line? Or have i just messed it up along the way. Thanks--Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-02, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wire colors are here
http://www.vox2.com/index.cfm?contentID=216

2 wires per phone line.

Old 06-12-02, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Old 06-12-02, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Green and Red (when looking at a phone connector, they are the center lines) will provide the 1st line signal. Black and yellow will provide the second line. The easiest way to check for signal is to measure the voltage on the line. It should be around 50Vdc between the two wires. No voltage=no active line.

Old 06-12-02, 12:20 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
Im using yellow black to incoming yellow black along with outgoing blue white pairs. I get voltage across the yellow black phone block terminals. at first i was using a 6 wire terminal and thought this might have been the culprit but i bought a new 4 wire today and still no dial tone with a phone connected to the line. So if i have voltage present at the yellow black pair.. technically it works? But im still not receiving a dial tone when i try to dial out on the computer or hooking up a manual phone. Any thoughts .. THanks--Josh

Old 06-12-02, 01:19 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
i get 43 volts dc across yellow and black. thanks ~JOSH

Old 06-12-02, 05:50 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
Eureka! .. I finally got it. after reading about dif phone line identities since black and yellow is typically the 2nd line and most phones only recognize one line i switched the incoming yellow/black pair to the green red posts on the phone jack. Works like a beauty thanks all.! --Josh