flourescent lighting

Old 06-12-02, 04:54 AM
E
enivid
Visiting Guest
Cool flourescent lighting

I have an old florescent fish tank light that I have attempted to hook up to a timer. When it was hooked up to the timer, it would not come on until I turned the switch off and then on again. I have disconected the switch hoping that maybe that was the problem. It was not. I have replaced the balast and the bulb. It will still not come on with the timer. I have to turn the timer off and on and off and on and it will eventually come on. It will also come on when the timer is on, if I lightly tap the fixture. I have replaced the bulb a second time. What else can I do to get this light to come on with the timer? Please help,

[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-02, 02:03 PM
G
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
What sort of ballast is it? Is there a separate starter or a 4 wire
switch in the lamp fixture? If the latter, then the fixture can only be manually started.

Old 06-19-02, 04:42 AM
E
enivid
Visiting Guest
flourescent light

I dont know what "type" of balast it is. It did not have a starter but did have a 4 wire switch. Can I add a starter or something else to make it start with the timer switch?

Old 06-19-02, 06:29 AM
G
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Yes. Just snip the two wires that go to the ends of the tube (near the switch), wire the them to a starter socket, and a starter in the socket.