ground & neutral wires in a sub panel


Old 06-12-02, 11:55 AM
mountain man
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
ground & neutral wires in a sub panel

Hi --
I've just built a small storage shed/bunk house out at my vacation cottage. I want the storage area and the bunk room to be on separate circuits, and although I doubt if I'll ever need it, I decided I should run 220 out to the new shed. Therefore, a sub panel is needed. (It's not relevant to my question but the shed is less than 100 feet from the cottage; I ran 8 gauge THHN conductors inside underground conduit, fed off a 30 amp double pole breaker in my main panel.) I mounted the sub panel to the wall, and discovered that the sub panel doesn't have a grounding bus bar. There's only one bar to attach the neutral wires to, and (as it should be) it is completely isolated from the metal exterior of the sub panel box. I know the ground and neutral wires should be isolated in a sub panel, but where do I attach the ground wires? If I have to, I guess I can buy another sub panel, but I would prefer to use the one I have because I removed several knock-outs, so I suspect the one I have is not returnable. There are no other items that could connect the shed to the main cottage -- no water lines or anything else. From what I understand, I could bond the grounds and neutrals together at the sub panel, but that is not considered the "correct" way to do it. Any help out there?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-02, 12:00 PM
HandyRon's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 1,365
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The store that sold you the sub panel will be able to sell you a ground bus bar to conenct to your existing subpanel.
Old 06-12-02, 12:04 PM
mountain man
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Wow, that was quick! Thanks Ron; the answer was so obvious, I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to go back to the store and ask them. This is a great forum. Thanks again.
Old 06-14-02, 11:37 AM
Joe Carpenter
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
If your new building is seperate from the main building, and there are no metal water pipes etc. connecting the two buildings, You can run 3 feeder wires to the sub, install grounding rods according to 250.53 and bond ground/neutral/panel together. This would allow you to use the existing bars for grounds and neutrals with no code violation according to 250.32(B)(2).

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: