Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How do I add indoor Phone junction box directly to outdoor network interface

Old 06-12-02, 02:28 PM
G
GWork
Visiting Guest

I need help tying into an outdoor phone network interface. The house was built in 1965. I want to connect an indoor junction box (patch panel) directly to the outdoor interface. And, then use the indoor junction box to rewire additional indoor jacks.

The outdoor network interface is nothing I've ever seen. Its got three hubs (knobs), with a tremedous number of phone wire connections. It appears each indoor phone jack has been linked directly to this outdoor interface. However, the "hub" connections don't jive with traditional phone wiring. Is there typically an indoor junction box or customer panel attached to this interface that I need to be searching for? (I've not seen one but thats what I desire).

I could sure use some advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-02, 12:04 PM
W
wyres
Visiting Guest
From a house I am familiar with built about that time.

On the side of the house was a brown plastic block, with a rubber cover over it.

There were five nuts to connect wires. Two on the left were connected together with a built in copper strip, the two on the right were connected togeter with built in copper strip. The one in the middle was single.

The wire coming from the phone company was connected to the two lower outer nuts. A ground wire was connected to the center nut. A lightening arrestor that looked like a plastic box about a half an inch by an inch and a half had three wires coming from it, connected to the center nut, and the two upper outer nuts. All phone wires in the house were connected to the two upper outer nuts.

You should be able to connect the wire from your new gadget to the two upper outer nuts.

Old 09-22-02, 04:32 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior demark

Actually, if you want to make it really simple, pound in two nails to a ceiling joist and run two wires (tip and ring) from your outside demark. I'm a telephone tec and have seen a lot worse than this.