Moving a light switch

Old 02-29-00, 06:58 PM
Visiting Guest
I need to move an existing light switch 4 feet from where it is currently. There is no slack in the existing wire. I could use the existing switch box as a junction box, and splice in a wire to the new switch box, but I thought code prohibited burying a junction box in a wall. The only wire in the existing switch box is the one going to the light.

Old 02-29-00, 08:25 PM
Visiting Guest
hello bill,
yes the code prohibets a junction box from being baried they MUST be axsessabel. u have only 2 options here eather pull new wire 2 the light and new switch box or leave the current switch box exposed and blank plate it and use it as a junction box.

Old 03-02-00, 08:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Sprky. I guess I'll run a new wire to the new switch location. If I disconnect the old switch from the power source, no live wires in the box, can I then abandon that box and cable, and bury that in the wall.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by sprky:
hello bill,
yes the code prohibets a junction box from being baried they MUST be axsessabel. u have only 2 options here eather pull new wire 2 the light and new switch box or leave the current switch box exposed and blank plate it and use it as a junction box.
<HR>

Old 03-03-00, 04:40 PM
Visiting Guest
hello bill,
thats not the most advisabel thang 2 do. u realy need to remove as much of the cabel as possabel.

Old 03-04-00, 01:03 PM
Visiting Guest
i agree with sprky u need to remove the old wire just in case you ever sell your house and someone finds it and trys to reconnect it that would not be good

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: