Garage Addition

Old 02-29-00, 07:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Just finished building a 24 X 24 detached garage. I now want to run power to it from my main breaker panel. Usage will general, basic power tools, lights, garage door opener, recepticals, etc... would like suggestions on amount of power needed and how to wire it. Basically how would you do it if it were your garage. Will have the work inspected by a Electrician, just want to save a little money by doing the manual work myself. Thanks for helping.

Old 02-29-00, 08:52 PM
Visiting Guest
hello fatboy,
well your garage is abought the same size as mine and i have a 100 amp panel in mine. i also have a 200 amp main service as well as a welder. i recomend nothing smaller than a 40 amp. a 100 amp panel would requir #3 wire and a 100 amp 2 pole breaker in main panel. a 40 would requir #8 and 40 amp 2 pole in main. i have my lights on 1 circuit and outlets on numerious others. i sugest u put large loades like tabel saws and souch on there own circuit. if u think a 100 is 2 big and a 40 2 small let me know size u wish 2 install and ill tell u the wire size 2 use. heres a note the cost diference between a 40 and 100 isnt that much and more is better then 2 small.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: