rewiring antique chandelier

Old 03-05-00, 10:21 PM
Visiting Guest
I impulsively purchased an antique chandelier that needs to be rewired. It has 5 arms, with 2 lights on each. The current wiring is cloth covered.

How hard is it to rewire a chandelier? What are the steps? Do I begin by removing the crystals? Is there a chance of not being able to disassemble/reassemble the parts?

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-00, 04:35 PM
Visiting Guest
hello mandt2,
its not hard at all to rewire a light. go 2 your local hardware store and get your self some new wire and pull it in. type of wire depends on situation if its all inclosed u can get thhn of 14 or 16 gage and rewire it if its not inclosed get lamp cord. pay attention to way your present wires r run and duplacte. if u use thhn get black and white white goes to the shell of the lamp holder (threaded part) and the black goes 2 the buttion in the socket. also im sure there is no ground present now so add 1 in a not so notisabel spot. if u use lamp cord the marked wire is the nutural its marked in some way eather ribded, flat defenetly diferent then the other, u may have 2 look hard 2 tell diference but it there. if u need any thing else fell free to email me