adding outlets

Old 06-14-02, 02:11 AM
yowtires
Visiting Guest
adding outlets

I have one electrical outlet in my basement. Can I add three or four more outlets by connecting to this one outlet? If so, how???

Old 06-14-02, 06:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, it's pretty easy. Every book on home wiring will describe all the details and have nice colorful diagrams and pictures. I recommend you get one or two at your local public library or home improvement center. Basically you just need to buy some cable (12/2 or 14/2 depending on the size of the breaker), some outlet boxes, some staples, some wire nuts, a wire stripper, a cable strippper, some receptacles, and some cover plates.

It's best to determine everything that's on the same circuit (shut off the breaker and see what in your house is dead). Then determine what you plan to plug into the new basement receptacles. That will allow you to determine if adding more load is going to trip the breaker all the time. If you provide enough information to us, we can help with that. Be sure to see what the wattage of all the lighting is (look at the number on all the bulbs). Also see what number is on the breaker (the amperage rating).

Post back with specific questions as you go along. This is a great first electrical project.

Old 06-14-02, 10:31 AM
yowtires
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I already had all the equipment and tools, and I borrowed a book from a neighbor. You were right - seems pretty easy. However, after I finished adding the first outlet, it has no power. The existing outlet has power still. I changed out the new outlet, thinking maybe it was faulty. Any other suggestions? A problem with the wire? All the connections are correct.

Old 06-14-02, 10:35 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you used the recepticle that has 4 plugs in the back where the wire is stripped and pushed in the back take them out and splice them together with a pigtail and put them under the screws. You should then have power.

Old 06-14-02, 11:50 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are probably several hundred things that might have gone wrong -- too many to list. If you can tell us in very precise terms exactly what you did do, perhaps we can spot the problem.

Old 06-14-02, 12:19 PM
yowtires
Visiting Guest
When I used the screws and not those push in things, the new outlet worked. (The existing outlet was wired that way so I thought that was the way to go - I guess I should listen to the experts next time.) Thanks for all your help. One new outlet down and two or three to go. I am beginning to like this!!!

Old 06-14-02, 09:09 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Lesson 1, Backstabbing is wrong and the code should ban them. I can't believe these items are still sold, or that a "pro" described how easy they were to use on an episode of TOH.

Old 06-15-02, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lesson 1, Backstabbing is wrong and the code should ban them. I can't believe these items are still sold

I second that!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: