2 breaker circuits connected

Old 03-09-00, 06:19 PM
Visiting Guest
I was doing some work on installing a new outlet. I went started turning off circuit by circuit and the power would not go off. I then threw the main breaker and added the outlet and then put my circuit tracer ( sends a tone on the line) only to find the outlet was on both circuit #5 & #9. Is there a quick way to find this cross over? In this 15 year old Cutler Hammer load center and #5 & #9 are on the same phase. Is this a dangerous situation? These combined circuits power all garage & breezeway power, 2 kit outlets, 2 kit ceiling lites, and 1 outlet in the dining rm. There was easy access to junction boxes for the breeze way and garage so I systematically disconnected all hot connection in these boxes. However the circuits are still tied. In the load center these two circuits are wire correctly and exit the box and enter the basement ceiling in two separate bx cables. Any thoughts????

[This message has been edited by jackrick (edited March 10, 2000).]

Old 03-10-00, 04:56 PM
Visiting Guest
hello jackrick,
yep i sure do have some thoughts on this. some where in a box some 1 connected the 2 circuits together, u will have to take apart every box on these 2 circuits till u locate it. it could also be an outlet that was ment to be on the 2 seperat circuits where they forgot to break the bridge. u state that 5 and 7 r on same phase this normaly trips the breakers. put a meter on this outlet u might be actually getting 220V

Old 03-10-00, 06:58 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by sprky:
hello jackrick,
yep i sure do have some thoughts on this. some where in a box some 1 connected the 2 circuits together, u will have to take apart every box on these 2 circuits till u locate it. it could also be an outlet that was ment to be on the 2 seperat circuits where they forgot to break the bridge. u state that 5 and 7 r on same phase this normaly trips the breakers. put a meter on this outlet u might be actually getting 220V
<HR>
Opps, I told you the wrong circuit numbers. It's really 5 & 9 so I don't have 220v. With these to 15 amp circuits tied together does it mean it's a 30 amp circuit with 15 amp wiring? For all I can tell its been this way for years! One 15 amp circuit would handle all that's on this combined circuit just fine. I'll be checking the outlets bridges. That seemed like a really good tip and a possible explaining how this situation was created. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: