outlets not working

Old 06-14-02, 06:14 PM
kah225
Visiting Guest
outlets not working

Just moved into a nice rental. Family room downstairs looks like was remodeled within last 5-10 years. There are 10 outlets down there, 3-4 work. I tried the circuit breaker. I assume they run in a line, so if one goes, the rest are out? How do I check to find the problem. Didn't want to spend a lot to check it out since it is a rental.

TIA

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-02, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In most cities, you are not allowed by law to do electrical work on a property that you are renting. Please discuss this problem with your landlord.

Most likely there is a disconnected wire in one of the receptacles -- either on the last one that works or the first one that doesn't. You might also consider investing $7 in a receptacle tester that can provide additional diagnostic information. Finally, you might look to see if any of the receptacles are GFCI receptacles that need resetting.

Old 06-15-02, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't forget it may have the push-in connections on the back of the outlets. If so, the wires probably need to be removed from the push-in slots and attached to the srews. No pro here, but I have been around work like this to some degree just about all my life. I have seen this happen more than once.

I do wonder why you do not contact the landlord though.