wiring a plug

Old 06-14-02, 07:07 PM
J
JRF
Visiting Guest
wiring a plug

Hi,
I am looking at the back ( the place where I need to attach three wires , not the prongs ) of a grounded plug . I know the green wire goes to the ground prong ( the one on the "bottom " ) but to which sides does the white and black wire attach?
Diagram:
_ _

_

Thanks,
JRF

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-02, 07:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Assuming this is a 15-amp 120-volt plug, white on the left and black on the right. Put another way, if you look at the receptacle where you will plug this in, the wires will connect such that white is also on the left, black on the right, and green (or bare) down.

Old 06-14-02, 07:55 PM
J
JRF
Visiting Guest
Thanks John!!

Old 06-15-02, 04:11 AM
Black on the brass colored screw, right?

Old 06-16-02, 08:48 AM
M
mike540
Visiting Guest
Wiring up that receptacle.

The hot wire, usually black or red but never green, goes to the brass colored screw. The neutral wire, usually white but never green, goes to the silver colored screw. The ground wire, green or bare (uninsulated) goes to the green screw.

Enjoy the journey.
Mike

Old 06-16-02, 08:57 AM
M
mike540
Visiting Guest
OOOps! Sorry 'bout that.

I read your question wrong. I thought you were wiring up a receptacle. However most replacement plugs have the same color code.

Another way. The prongs of the plug are usually different sizes. The neutral prong is wider than the hot prong, and the ground prong is round.

Also be careful with the right and left thing. Some electrical codes require that the receptacle be installed with the ground hole at the top.

Mike

Old 06-16-02, 10:04 AM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Mike 540 your discription of connecting wire on the right or left of a receptacle would change depending on if that ground is up or down. You mentioned that some Codes require the grounding to be up position. There may be some obscure special locality ordinance that may call for the grounding to be up position but nowhere in the NEC does it state either up or down. By the NEC up or down is your choice.

Just for you info

Wg

Old 06-16-02, 05:42 PM
J
JRF
Visiting Guest
Well....The plug I have has a screw with a brass center, and a regular looking screw on the other side and the ground ( green ) on the "bottom". I suppose the black wire goes on the brass one and the white wire on the "regular" one. I havn't plugged it in yet ( I want to make sure it's right so I don't fry this $200 water pump ) !
Also, the wall receptacles in my house have the ground on the top. The pump plug in question will be plugged into a power strip, the power strip will be plugged into the wall. Whew, I'm confused now!
JRF

Old 06-16-02, 07:33 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You are fine as long as your motor is 120 volt rated. If you receptacle is 120 volt rated and you plug in a 220 volt rated motor you will burn out your motor at worst.

If you are working on a normal 120 volt receptacel the the black wire connects to the brass or black screw and the white wire connects to the silver screw and the bare or green wire connects to the green screw.

Use a voltage tester to confirm you have the voltage on the receptacle that matches your voltage rating on your motor name plate before you plug in that motor.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 06-17-02, 01:22 PM
J
JRF
Visiting Guest
Thanks! It works fine!

Old 06-19-02, 03:06 AM
and the bare or green wire connects to the green screw

If, by chance, this is a metal box, shouldn't the ground wire also be attached to the box?