can lighting with 2 switches

Old 06-15-02, 12:19 AM
K
kmdrig
Visiting Guest
can lighting with 2 switches

I am installing 6 can lights in my kitchen with 2 switches- one at the front entrance to the kitchen, and one at the exit. It is run Switch, fixture, switch (with the incoming power feeding the first switch, power running through each can, then ending at the second switch) I cannot get the ****ing thing to work. I have consulted 2 books, but they both show different versions, and only show how to install with one fixture- the lights are on their own 20 breaker- so I don't think that is the problem. Any help would be appreciated. I was up till 4 in the morning trying different combo's of wiring, and nothing worked. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! My wife is frantic to get the kitchen done, and we can't put the sheetrock up until I have these fricken lights done in case the wiring needs to be changed.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-02, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is run Switch, fixture, switch (with the incoming power feeding the first switch, power running through each can, then ending at the second switch)

Be interesting to see what is suggested here. I am wondering if the answer is to run it fixture-light-switch-switch. I am thinking of using a 3 way on a kitchen in a house I am redoing. You are using a 3 wire with ground conductor between the switches, right?

Old 06-15-02, 10:51 AM
K
kmdrig
Visiting Guest
yes, we are using 14-2 with ground from panel to first switch, then 14-3 w/ ground from the first switch to the fixtures and through to the second switch.

Old 06-15-02, 12:35 PM
J
Sorry, but there is absolutely no way to make this work with the cable you have so-far installed. You tried to use a wiring diagram that had one light between two 3-way switches, and extrapolate it for more than one light. You can't do that by merely adding more lights between the switches.

Here are your main choices. Tell me which one you pick, and I can provide more details:[list=1][*]Remove the 14/3 cables between the lights, and replace them with two 14/2 cables between the lights.[*]Run a 14/3 directly between the two switches, without stopping at any lights. Then run 14/2 from either switch to a light and between the lights.[*]Run 14/3 from switch to one light to switch. Then run 14/2 from this one light to the other lights, run light to light to light.[/list=1]As I said, you must do one of these. Your existing cable cannot be made to work. Which do you want?

Old 06-15-02, 02:08 PM
K
kmdrig
Visiting Guest
Okay- I think the easiest way to go would be to remove the 14/3 between the fixtures and replace it with 2 14/2's. Man- I feel stupid now- duh! Ya ever just laugh at all the mistakes people are making???? Thank you so much for the advice.

Old 06-15-02, 04:51 PM
M
mike540
Visiting Guest
Just add a piece of 14/2 between the lights

You don't have to remove the the 14/3 between the lights. Just add a piece of 14/2 between them. Then you will have enough wires to do the job plus an extra, but you won't have to throw away the piece of 14/3. Cheaper

Mike

Old 06-16-02, 11:39 AM
J
No, we don't laugh at mistakes. Mostly what we see here are the same mistakes over and over and over again. Yours is an example of a very common mistake.

First, I agree with Mike. Don't remove your existing 14/3 between the lights. You'll just use two of the three wires. For the least confusion, I suggest you use the black and red. Simply cut off the white wire short at each light so that it doesn't confuse you or anyone else. Do not cut off the white from the first switch to the first light, nor from the last light to the second switch -- you still need these.

Now run new 14/2 cables between each light. So at each light, you'll have one or two black and red cables (call these cables "T" because they'll be the travellers), and one or two new black and white cable (call this "X") -- the first and last light will only have one of each and the middle lights will have two of each. At the first and last light, you'll also have a switch cable (call these cables "S"). Finally, at the first switch, you have the power cable from the panel (call this "P"). Draw all this out on paper so you can visualize it. In addition to labeling each wire with its cable label, also label it with its color ("b", "r" or "w").

With all the nomenclature out of the way, the connections are easy to describe. I won't mention all the grounding wire connections, but of course connect them all to each other and to light grounding wires and switch grounding screws.

At the first switch:
  • Connect Pw to Sw.
  • Connect Pb to the common screw on the switch.
  • Connect Sr and Sb to the traveller screws.
At the first light:
  • Connect Sw to Xw to the light's white wire.
  • Connect the light's black wire to Xb.
  • Connect Sr to Tr.
  • Connect Sb to Tb.
At the middle lights:
  • Connect Tr to Tr.
  • Connect Tb to Tb.
  • Connect Xw to Xw to the light's white.
  • Connect Xb to Xb to the light's black wire.
At the last light:
  • Connect Tr to Sr.
  • Connect Tb to Sw (mark Sw with a black marker).
  • Connect Xw to the light's white wire.
  • Connect Xb to Sb to the light's black wire.
At the final switch:
  • Connect Sb to the common screw.
  • Connect Sw and Sr to the traveller screws (mark Sw with black marker).

Old 06-16-02, 09:59 PM
K
kmdrig
Visiting Guest
They work!!!!!!!! Yippee! Thank you so much. Now I can move on to the sheetrock.