Flourescent light

Old 06-17-02, 12:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flourescent light

My attic currently has 1 pull chain porcelain with a 2nd bare bulb plugged into the outlet on the first pull chain fixture and mounted about 8ft down (old school, I know)which are operated by a switch at the base of the staire. I was wondering if I could replace the 2 single bulb fixtures with a 1 light 4ft flourescent mounted in the middle of the attic. I'm not a big fan of flourescent lighting but this is the atic and these lights are constantly burning out becuase they get left on. My quesions are the following. The wiring is old and I may need to move the box down about 3ft, can I just use a junction box and connect the old wire to new style? When I install the flourescent is there anythng special I need to look out for? What is a ballast? (yeah I know, what a newbie question, but I've never done flourescent before). I have decent experience with DIY electrical work but I've never done flourescent before and don't want to mess anything up. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-02, 01:16 PM
J
Yes, you can do this. You don't really need to know what a ballast is -- just hook up the new fixture according to directions. Fluorescent fixtures work better if they have a grounding connection. If it gets cold in your attic, the light might not work in the winter unless you buy a cold-weather fixture.

Old 06-17-02, 04:31 PM
Just a thought here. My folks had the same problem, the lights in the attic never worked when you needed them cause they had been left on and the bulbs were burnt out. Dad found a lighted light switch, it just had a small red light on it, so when the lights were on in the attic the little red light was also lit. This was an indicator to shut them off if no one was in the attic, seemed to work quite well. Was easy to do and didn't cost very much. I know there are also timer switches out there, like off of a spa pump. However, the draw back is if you have it set for 30 minutes and happen to be in the attic when the lights go off...... well we all have to find our way through the dark from time to time.
Anyhow, that is my two cents worth.

Old 06-17-02, 05:48 PM
M
A Lighted switch would be easier but unfortunately this is a walk up attic with a full door, and you have to open the door to get to the light switch. Time to go to Kennedy Electric and get a fixture.

Old 06-19-02, 08:27 AM
G
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Why not just replace the existing bulbs with CF ones?