Wiring new stove

Old 06-17-02, 12:41 PM
P
pmg
Visiting Guest
Wiring new stove

Recently purchased a new drop in type stove.Pulled the old one out already.It has three wires-black red and white.The new stove has black,red,white and a copper already attatched to the white.I'm assuming all will go well if I just color match everything.White and ground on the new to single white on the old,etc,etc?HELP!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-02, 01:03 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The installation instructions that came with your stove should cover both 3-wire and a 4-wire installations. In 3-wire installations, the same wire is used for neutral and grounding. So yes, you're on the right track. Make sure the wire gauge and breaker size are compatible with your new stove, especially if the new stove is more powerful than the old one.

Old 06-17-02, 08:05 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The NEC allows for an existing three wire branch circuit to serve a new range if the pigtail is connected right in that range. Problem is you listed a black red and white wire but no equipment grounding conductor in that existing cable.

The NEC states that the only cable that you can use as an existing three wire cable is an Service entrance cable. YOur cable can not be a service entrance cable because you have a white wire but no bare used as a blanket covering the black and red. Therefore the NEC does not allow an existing three wire branch circuit as you discribe to be used as existing. Only SE cables are allowed to be a three wire existing cable to serve a range.

Sorry, you are supposed to install a new branch circuit to be within the NEC requirments. Your thee wire cable is not an SE cable if I am correct. I am 90 percent sure your existing branch circuit is an NM cable but not an SE cable. Look on the side of your existing cable and see if you see the term "service entrance cable". If you find that then you are ok but I doubt you will find that term on your cable. I suspect your existing cable to be normal Romex instead which would not be allowed ot remain existing per the NEC.

Wg

Old 06-18-02, 05:01 AM
P
pmg
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure if I follow you but the bare copper ground wire is wired right into the new white wire coming out of the new stove.If I connected that right to the white coming out of the wall would that be up to code?The existing wire is a three wire with a corrugated type metal casing if that helps.

Old 06-18-02, 08:04 AM
D
DaveB.inVa
Visiting Guest
WG, please read Art. 250.140(3) in the 2002 NEC.
250.140 regards the conditions where the grounded conductor is allowed to ground the frames of ranges and dryers.

250.140(3) (this is the third condition that must be met)

The grounded conductor is insulated, or the grounded conductor is uninsulated and part of a Type SE service-entrance cable and the branch circuit originates at the service equipment.

SE cable isnt the only cable allowed to ground the frames (although Ill say it was most common)

His grounded (white) conductor does appear to be insulated per the post.

No rewiring is needed and the connection is permissable.

Old 06-18-02, 12:41 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
DaveB, your are correct. Sorry but my memory didn't serve me as well as it should have on that rule. The NEC is as you say allowing an insulated white wire in cable to be used as an existing three wire range branch circuit. I didn't remember that part of that rule. Must be getting older but better looking. I wonder if I added too much in that last sentence. Oh well sounded good anyway.

That also means what John said is right also. Guess I should have looked before I questioned what he said.

Nice catch DaveB

Wg

Old 06-19-02, 04:47 AM
P
pmg
Visiting Guest
Ok - Installed last night-everything works fine.One concern of mine is the small square wire connectors that I used from the old connection.There are 3 connectors [copper or brass],square with a metal screw in the middle that you crank down on to both wires.My question is are all these the same type of metal?One of them looked slightly different than the other two,maybe brass.I'm wondering if so,does it matter what wire it's connected to?I think that one ended up on the black wire if I remember correctly.Anyway,question two:Is it normal to hear a slight buzzing/humming sound from the circuit breaker panel?

Old 06-19-02, 09:44 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The older connectors should have been replaced if the are replacable. You are not sure what the older connectors were made of and what they were approved to be used with.

The humming of your breaker tends to suggest a loose breaker. This could be a hazard. Push your finger against the face of that breaker and see if the humming stops. If so I suspect you did not get the breaker properly connected ot hte buss bar or your wires are not tight. It may be a faulty breaker but suspect a loose connection in the panel.

Hope this helps

Wg