Earth Ground Wire

Old 06-17-02, 04:24 PM
K
kpell
Visiting Guest
Earth Ground Wire

I currently have installed a new meter base with new service pannel directly on the other side of the wall, I am ready to run the ground wire, but the drawing on WG's web site confuses me. From what I can see the bonding bushing has about a 4guage copper running from the connecting pipe bushing on the meter base side(connecting the meter base and service pannel) and then it is routed to the ground rod(earth ground). I thought that the service pannel should have the 4 guage copper running from the ground/neutral bus out the bottom through the wall and to the grounding rod, with a grounding bushing on the pipe(service pannel side) and a 4 guage copper ran to the neutral/ground bus in the pannel. Which is right?, are both?

I've asked the inspector because the electrician I talked to said he red tagged a home he had rewired because the grounding bushing from the connecting pipe(meter base/service pannel) was not there. But when I asked the inspector he said there does not need to be a grounding bushing from the connecting pipe to the ground/neutral bus, only one from the ground/neural bus to the ground rod. He also said in a condencending manner that whomever I talked to was not very up to date on the code and needed to read his code book. I was going to enclose the grounding wire comming out of the service pannel in PVC and the inspector just about bit my head off and said there was no need, just staple it to the wall and go out the bottom of the wall to the grounding rod. What do you all think? I've heard horror stories from more than a bakers dozen of electricians and home owners. I just don't want any problems eventhough I am expecting the worst.

Thanks,

Kenny

P.S. I might just be looking at WG's sight wrong, if so, WG I apologize.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-02, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Assuming you are using SE cable from the service head to the meter, and meter to panel, the grounding wire from the grounding or neutral bus in the panel to the rod outside is fine. If the service entrance is in EMT, IMC, or Rigid, grounding bushings may be needed. My code book was shipped away with tools for a 1 week trip, I therefore cannot refer to it to answer precisely. I see no problem with using PVC to enclose the grounding electrode conductor, depending on what physical harm may come to it there may be no need to do such at all anyhow.

gj

Old 06-17-02, 08:34 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
As per the 99 NEC there is no need for any bond bushings to be installed between the meter base and hte main service rated panel. I will look at the bond bushing that you mention. The neutral service entrance conductor is allowed to serve as both the grounding and the grouded conductor as a dual purpose wire serving as both between the meter base and hte panel on the line side of that main breaker and within the panel and meterbase per 250.142. I may have used the wrong picture on the article causing a confusion. However I am not sure in what context and which picture you are referring to in that article but will check the pictures for accuracy and limit of confusion. Problem is there are many ways of meeting the minimum safety standards of hte NEC when it comes to intalling the grounding electrode conductor from the ground rod to the main service rated panel or meter base. Actually if you want the rule of Code you may connect that grounding electrode conductor anywhere from the point of attachment to the point inside the main servce rated panel. A grounding electrode conductor connecting to a made electrode [commonly a ground rod] only has to be sized 6 awg copper for any size service from 200 amp to 1000 amp or more.

You may connect your grounding electrode conductor from the ground rod up a PVC conduit to the meter base and connect in the meter base and stop there using the neutral service entrance conductor to carry that grounding syetem to the main service rated panel. Only three wires is required between the meter base and the main service rated panel. Or you may run your grounidng electrode conductor into the stud space ran up that stud space into the main service rated panel and stop there again using the neutral service entrance conductor between the meter base and the main servce panel as a dual purpose wire carrying the grounding system to the meter base.

Then again you could really confuse your electrical inspector and run that grounding electrode conductor from teh ground rod to the weather head and connect to the neutral service conductor at the weather head and stop again using the neutral service conductor to carry the grounding system to the meter base and then to the main service rated panel if you want to have some fun.

There are many ways of meeting the NEC when it comes to where you want to land your grounding electrode conductor from the ground rod.

Bond bushings are only required when you are using a metal conduit as a grounding conductor and you have larger concentrics or accentrics that the grouding path must cross relying on those knock out pieces. The NEC forbids you to use those larger knock out parts of a hole as a grounding path. The bonding bushing then would be used to jump across the larger knock out parts where you conduit enters the panel box. This is not needed in most cases on the line side of your main breaker because you netural conductor is passing through that conduit so the conduit is not being used as a grounding path. Some people install that bonding bushing to ensure grounding of hte conduit connected to a hole on both ends of that conduit which have larger knock out pieces to rely on bonding that metal nipple or conduit. This is probably what you saw.

I am disappointed that an electrical inspector would be even a little disrespectful when a person is asking what he or she rules even if that inspector is scoffing the author of an article you used to help guide you. Sounds like you may have an inspector that either has an inferiority complex or has a power happy personality. Sorry you had to experience negative due to your reading an article that I wrote. My intent is to help not hurt.

I am not on an ego trip, just been there done that so many years that many people can benefit from my knowledge if I present that knowledge in the right manner. My hopes are that many benefit for having made contact with me. I have no intentions to cause you the negative you experienced with your Inspector. For you negative experience I opologize if I was at fault.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 06-17-02, 08:51 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Kpell, if you were looking at a grounding wire connected to a bonding bushing in a meter base go back to that picture and you should find an explaination that the bond bushing is bonding the metal conduit. The notation is in red and you may have missed it. The purpose of that grounding bushing was to bond a substantial metal conduit that went into the ground but is passing through a hole that has several larger knock outs that the grouding path had to rely on. This bare wire connecting to the metal conduit is only bonding the conduit. Let me know if I hit hte picture you mentioned and if this helps.

Wg

Old 06-18-02, 05:14 AM
K
kpell
Visiting Guest
Wg,

Thanks, I was looking at the pic with the rigid conduit comming out of the bottom of the meter base with bonding bushing on it. At the time I had talked to the electrical inspector I had not even known of this or any other electrical forums so it was not due to your pic that the elec inspector got an attitude. Like I said in my other post that you commentd on about the local electricians wanting to avoid any contact with the elec inspector. He has an attitude with everyone around here. It doesn't matter what you do it like he will make you change something, the electrician I have been talking to said he has had his own company in this area for over 25 years and this guy takes the cake. He'll make you do it one way then the next house you do that way so he'll be happy and he'll make you change it to another way. I think he probably didn't have very many friends growing up and he's trying to take it out on everyone. Did I mention he is crosseyed, I mean really bad, I couldn't tell which eye to look at so I just kept my head down. I imagine he was teased really bad as a child and this is way of getting back at everyone, giving everyone as hard or harder of a time that he got when he grew up. your website and your reply's are greatly appreciated and I thank you for responding, like I said on the other post if the elec inspector had helped me 1/10th as much as you have I would have felt privledged. Thanks again. Keep on posting that vast knowledge. I appreciate it and I know everyone else does too.

Thanks,

Kenny