Ceiling Fan

Old 06-17-02, 07:58 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan

My daughter has a ceiling fan that is missing the pull chain switch that controls speed. The fan is probably 10 years old, not very sophisticated and the manufacturer is not known. I have identified the wires designated to serve a ceiling lamp and should be able to take them out of further consideration.

I have remaining a blue, green, and a black wire leading back into the motor housing. There are other wires leading to a capacitor and reversing switch that are factory crimped and undisturbed. The size wire is no larger than #18.

I purchased a pull chain switch designated to work with either a 3 or four wire system (I don't understand the difference and have no further instructions).

I connected the black from the motor to the switch lead marked "L". This leaves 3 remaining connectors. I have connected a combination of the remaining blue and green wire to the various remaining switch connections and get the following results (always leaving one connector unused):

slow speed
Mid-speed

but, no high speed.

Does anyone have a guess as to what I am doing wrong or if I have a switch that is totally incompatible?

Hope I was reasonably clear & thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-02, 08:27 PM
W
Wirenut33
Visiting Guest
You are doing nothing wrong here. You have 4 terminals for a three-speed fan switch, marked L, 1, 2, and 3. The black wire always connects to the "L" terminal, as this is the line terminal and the black wire is the incoming hot leg for the switch, with the remaining three connected to the other three terminals in succession. Since you only have two wires, your fan only has two speeds. I don't know if they make a standard two-speed switch, but the three-way switch comes in 4, 5, and 8 wire configurations.