Problem receptacle

Old 03-25-00, 06:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

After 21 years of uninterrupted service, power from dual receptacle stopped working (#1
last one on line). Following advice already in Sparky forum, I checked nearest upstream
outlet (#2) and found same problem. Next upstream outlet is a ceramic pull chain ceiling
light fixture (#3) which does work. Electrical test lite glowed in receptacle #2 & #1 but
do not know if 110 or less.
I removed receptacle #1 where problem started. Checked wiring which seemed okay.
Replaced it in box and it worked. Checked #2 receptacle and that worked.
Having dropped the ceiling unit I decided to replace the chain socket with a new one with
a longer chain. Everything was functioning so I replaced all covers. Went to turn on a
lamp in receptacle #1 and I found myself back to square one. Test lite showed some
power in #1 & #2 receptacles but do not work.
What causes receptacle to just quit.
How do I correct this weird problem???

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-00, 09:43 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Altrapani,
sounds like u have a bad recep. get a new 1 and install it in box u r haveing problem with, receps do go bad over time just like any thing else.

Old 03-26-00, 06:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sprky:
hello Altrapani,
sounds like u have a bad recep. get a new 1 and install it in box u r haveing problem with, receps do go bad over time just like any thing else.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I replaced both receps. Still have problem.Purchesed new plug in gadget that shows "open Neutral".. How do I find and corect this???

Old 03-30-00, 07:09 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Altrapani,
sorry abought the length of time befor a reply but puter was down. ok here is what u need to do take the tester and go back on the circuit checking all recepts,on the last recep that shows good, remove it and check the connections not just the 1's on recept but wirenuts as well if present. if this dont correct your problem take apart every box/switch/light on this circuit checking all connections till u locate the problem, u also shuld check in the breaker panel for a loose nutural wire if u find none in the boxes.