2 switch wiring to light and ceiling fan

Old 06-18-02, 04:07 PM
E
EON
Visiting Guest
2 switch wiring to light and ceiling fan

I am trying to add a ceiling fan to our bedroom.
There is already a switch with one incoming power cable to switch for closet. I have added another switch beside it with 3 wire cable to fan.
How can I wire fan switch with one incoming wire with power connected to the closet light switch and the fan switch?

Each switch has 2 holes on back to insert one wire per hole for switch connection and 2 screw terminals on the side.

Not sure what the side terminals are for?
I need to only use one incoming power cable because that's all there is.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-02, 04:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The holes in the back are for an electrician trying to save 30 seconds. For a quality job, you should not use them. The screws adjacent to the holes are electrically the same as the holes. You should use the screws. Wrap the wire at least 3/4 of the way around the screw in a clockwise direction.

For more help we need one small verfication. You said that, "There is already a switch with one incoming power cable to switch for closet." Does this mean that there is only one cable coming into this switch box, which is a cable with one black wire and one white wire?

Assuming the answer to the above question is "yes," then you'll need to draw power from the closet light box. You have several options, each of which requires you to run two new cables:[list=1][*]One cable from the closet light to the fan, and one cable from the fan to the switch, or[*]One additional cable from the closet light to the switch and one cable from the switch to the fan, or[*]One additional cable from the closet light to the switch, and one cable from the closet light to the fan.[/list=1]Post back and tell us which is easiest for you, and we'll provide more information. Also, post back and tell us if you've already tried something that didn't work, what you tried, and what the result was. And when you said that you added a switch, does that mean you replaced a single switch with a duplex switch?

Old 06-20-02, 04:44 PM
E
EON
Visiting Guest
thanks for the information on this john

what I ended up doing was connecting the incoming black wire
with the outgoing black wire to the closet light and adding a spare black wire which went to the incoming terminal on the
switch going to the fan.(3 black wires twisted together at one end and 1 black from incoming, 1 black outgoing to closet light and one black cut from piece of wire to 2 fan switch)

I didn't need a second cable in the installation.