electrical problem

Old 03-29-00, 06:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am working on the wiring in my new garage. I have a circuit that contains (from start to end) a GFI outlet then 3 other outlets. They all worked fine. As an after thought I decided to add 2 lights in the attic. I spliced them in at the last outlet in the circuit. Now the lights and the 3 nonGFI outlets do not work. Any suggestions as to what went wrong? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-00, 06:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

If you wired the gfci with incoming (from panel)hot(black) to "line" and the outgoing "load" hot(black) to other outlets and lights, all past gfci are subject to gfci. Try pushing test/reset button on gfci to see if they won't all work. If you pigtailed from incoming hot line to gfci and pigtailed from "load" side to other outlets/lights, then just gfci should be gfci. Check it out. Good Luck!

Old 03-29-00, 10:51 PM
Visiting Guest
The Old Guy explained the solution to your problem, but I would suggest putting the lights on a different circuit from the outlets. Bad enough to trip a breaker by accidentally overloading or shorting out the outlet circuit, but do you really want to be left in the dark when this happens?

Old 03-30-00, 07:36 PM
Visiting Guest
hello jrs1,
lefty has a valid point there, i never wire lights on a gfi circuit unless called for by the code for this verry reasion, and lighting in attics is not required to be gfci pritected.