Ceiling Fan - Light Kit

Old 04-01-00, 04:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I added a light kit to an already installed and working ceiling fan. According to the light kit instructions - white to white, and black to blue (in the fan box attachment). However the lights don't come on. I tested the blue wire with a low voltage tester and nothing. Is there a possibility the blue wire was never wired properly when the fan was installed or is that little yellow plastic coasted thingamabob (where the blue wire comes from) broke?

------------------

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-00, 08:11 PM
Visiting Guest
BillMc,
Chances are that the light lead wire was never connected at the ceiling box.
If you can merely drop the canopy you will probably find a blue/striped wire that is not connected with the black of the fan to the hot in the electrical box, again probably a black wire.

Old 04-02-00, 08:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

David, thx for your response, however still nothing. I removed the canopy, but no blue striped wire at all. Coming out of the source (house power) was a red, white, black & bare copper.
To the Fan Assembly the red to blue, white to white, black to black & bare copper to green.
Below the fan for the light kit assembly are only black & white. Here I've attached from the fan black to the blue & white to white. Again I tested the blue & white but nothing. Yet the fan works perfectly on all three speeds. I'm still befuddled. Any help would be appreciated. BillMc

------------------

Old 04-02-00, 01:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Is there a light switch on the fan assembly?

Old 04-02-00, 01:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Old Guy, yes there is a light switch on the fan. But thanks anyway I've got the thing working. Someone gave me some info about unhooking the blue from red at the ceiling and hooking the blue to the 2 blacks. That did it. Thanks again.

------------------

Old 04-02-00, 07:17 PM
Visiting Guest
hello BillMc,
ill bet the red wire is dummed in the switchbox. open up thew switch and install a stacked switch hooking the red to 1 switch and black to other switch, and house power to the common on switch. then your light will work.