dimmer switch problems

Old 06-19-02, 02:00 PM
N
noskills
Visiting Guest
dimmer switch problems

I thought I could handle this simple project but once again I was wrong. I attempted to install a dimmer switch in my child's room. I took of the existing switch and it had 3 black wires hooked up to it. Two black wires were pushed in the holes in the light switch and I had to put in a screw driver in a hole by the wires and they came out. The third black wire was attached to a screw on the light switch. I got the dimmer out of the box and it had two black wires and one green wire. I read instructions and attached the green wire to the copper ground. Then I attached the two black wires from the dimmer to the the two black wires that were installed in the holes of the original switch. I did not know what to do with the third black wire that was attached to the nut on the original light switch so I just put a wire nut on it and called it a day. I cut the fuse back on and the dimmer works but now the outlets in the baby's room do not work and the lights in our master beedrom and bathroom do not work. What the hell did I do wrong? How do fix this problem?

noskills

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-02, 02:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The switch provided feed-through power to the outlets. You need to attach that extra black wire to one of the two dimmer wires (in addition to the black wire that it is already connected to). Which one, you ask? Try one and then try the other. Don't forget to mark that currently disconnected black wire in some way, so that you'll know which one to move if it doesn't work right the first time. In one way, the outlets will be dead when the dimmer is off -- that's not what you want, so the other way will be correct.

P.S. If you had asked the question before you disconnected the old switch, we would have been able to tell you how to do it without the trial and error.

Old 06-19-02, 03:14 PM
N
noskills
Visiting Guest
OK. I will try that when I get home tonight. Now, that I found this site, I will add it to my normal viewing and reading. I love the net and what a great site!

Old 06-25-02, 08:47 AM
N
noskills
Visiting Guest
I followed your instructions and had no problems. Thanks for the help and I am reading and learning everyday at this site. Maybe soon, after hanging out here more, I can change my name to "limited skills."